Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas:
Blitz you have no idea how offensive I can become and how loud. Remember, I was an officer.

More to the point, please do some self examination and tell us why you really joined what you joined?

I have friends who were Army Green Berets and Navy Seals, and I know why they joined.

So tell us why did you?

Officers we had for breakfast, the CSM/RSM was an entirely different story. I have seen them bring officers near to tears, but always with a SIR on the end

I miss my old CSM. Been in the Army since they had sheilds and sandals, but could still do a 280 on the 17-21 year old PT test. The guy had an Americal combat patch with more fruit salad than a buffet. Was hard as nails and single handedly ran the battalion, even the Bat. CDR said please and thank you to him.

Blitz:
I miss my old CSM. Been in the Army since they had sheilds and sandals, but could still do a 280 on the 17-21 year old PT test. The guy had an Americal combat patch with more fruit salad than a buffet. Was hard as nails and single handedly ran the battalion, even the Bat. CDR said please and thank you to him.

Blitz: I agree: As a senior 1st Lt. I well remember standing in front of the Sergeant Majors "hatch" [door].-knocking three times like a young recruit. The grizzled Sgt. Major, a veteran of Iowa Jima, Tarawa, Inchon, two tours in Vietnam, looked up over his glasses and said in a very calm voice: "Come on in Lt. I won't bite." The Major General in charge of the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego often sent me to: "See what the Sgt. Major thinks about it."

The other thing that I miss was good old fashioned @ss chewings from the 1st SGT when you had done some just bad enough to irritate him, but not enough to get into real trouble for. Those guys were the masters of improv! It wasn't uncommon to get get dismissed from top's office and fall out of the doorway laughing!

cdiver2:
Officers we had for breakfast, the CSM/RSM was an entirely different story. I have seen them bring officers near to tears, but always with a SIR on the end

Ensigns and 2nd lieutenants do not count, until they grow up and put on silver for brass. Everybody needs a chance to learn their jobs. I doubt you talked like that around O-2s or O-3s.

mdb:
Blitz: I agree: As a senior 1st Lt. I well remember standing in front of the Sergeant Majors "hatch" [door].-knocking three times like a young recruit. The grizzled Sgt. Major, a veteran of Iowa Jima, Tarawa, Inchon, two tours in Vietnam, looked up over his glasses and said in a very calm voice: "Come on in Lt. I won't bite." The Major General in charge of the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego often sent me to: "See what the Sgt. Major thinks about it."

I am thinking now that perhaps you were not a real officer. I recall COBs and SGMs asking for my advice or point of view on certain staff issues. Quite the opposite of your experience with these very senior professional NCOs.

nereas:
I am thinking now that perhaps you were not a real officer. I recall COBs and SGMs asking for my advice or point of view on certain staff issues. Quite the opposite of your experience with these very senior professional NCOs.

That is kinda funny, we were discussing you not being a real officer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom