Would you accept O2 without qualification?

Would you accept O2 from non qualified person?

• Yes

Votes: 127 96.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a risk in the patient accepting O2 from a non certified person however, the risk to the person administring such O2 is much higher in the event of an accident caused by his actions. You would not be protected under the banner of the good samaritan laws. You'd wish you were the patient..................

http://www.medi-smart.com/gslaw.htm

Well, as much as I'd prefer to have a DMO and a respitory therapst there to administer O2 when it was nessecarry, if they are not available, Give Me The Damn Mask!!!!!

String:
There are some reports saying O2 will initially make the symptoms seem slightly worse, various reasons including the starved cells beginning to send pain impulses again but this passes over in a minute or so. Ive not seen any indications of problems regarding 100% O2 to a medially fit diver.

The one thing that needs to be watched is over here ambulance crews by standard give Entonox to a casualty in pain - this is seriously bad for a diver due to the oxygen content so if a dive needs an ambulance whether its DCS or some unrelated injury do NOT let them administer entonox.
What's Entonox?

lamont:
I'm curious about that. I'm actually DAN O2 certified, but haven't ever heard of contraindications to giving O2. If a MI/CVA that you might encounter could be worsened by O2 that would seem to be something to point out to people...

And I thought that oxygenating tissues actually helped in those cases since it reduced tissue damage and all that...
There are few contraindications to administering 100% oxygen. Generally, the conditions which might be worsened by oxygen are also contraindications to scuba diving.

I too am an Oxyen Administration Instructor for the ARC and O2 is not limited due to any specific conditions. I recommended in the other thread that you be trained to administer because (1) you should be and (2) if you want to have your own supply you made need certification (3) someone could try to sue you (thank goodness for Good Samaritan Laws). I certainly wouldn't turn it down since unless I am unconscious I'll know what to do. It would be helpful however if the people trying to assist me knew the differences between the delivery systems, the proper flow rates and even how to attach the regulator properly.

Take a DAN or a Red Cross Class!

Known as "gas and air". 50% oxygen, 50% nitrous oxide.

Basically an enriched mix with a bit of anaesthetic in to calm a paitent and reduce pain.

It tends (here at least) to be administered by paramedics to anyone in pain.

Obviously the high N2 content isnt great for a diver so you have to make sure they dont give it.

Maybe I'd better just start wearing a dog-tag saying "I hereby exempt anybody using their best efforts to save my life by administering O2"?

Or would it be sufficient to ask the guy doubled up in pain, "Do you want O2 at your own risk?"

:banghead:

ShakaZulu:
There is a risk in the patient accepting O2 from a non certified person however, the risk to the person administring such O2 is much higher in the event of an accident caused by his actions. You would not be protected under the banner of the good samaritan laws. You'd wish you were the patient..................

http://www.medi-smart.com/gslaw.htm

Not really applicable to this case. The url you cited applies to professionals.

miketsp:
Or would it be sufficient to ask the guy doubled up in pain, "Do you want O2 at your own risk?"

Amazingly thats what youre supposed to do ! Or make THEM place the O2 mask on their face and hold it.

Absolutely crazy.

miketsp:
Maybe I'd better just start wearing a dog-tag saying "I hereby exempt anybody using their best efforts to save my life by administering O2"?

Put it in a tattoo......

Back
Top Bottom