Would love your feedback on my UW Shots as a novice with my SeaLife 1400 in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks JGriffin and Wineaux

For a first time owning and shooting UW, It exceeded my expectations.

Now I've heard people voicing negative comments about the piano buttons being hard to work UW, I don't have large hands, if that makes the difference because I had no issues.

Well I went ahead and bit the bullet and got it. I got the 1400 pro duo...in pink! :) I'm going to get to try it out next weekend. My group is going over to Laguna Beach to do a belated Easter dive. There's even going to be an underwater Easter egg hunt...with prizes. I've never heard of that but it sound really fun. They said there will even be a few real eggs and if you find one you get to break it up to feed the fish. I'm going to take the camera and practice with it. My main goal right now is just to be able to control the camera and my buoyancy at the same time. :)

I loved the DC1400, and got some amazing photos with it. I used the dc1400 for just over a year, on 3-4 dive trips. very easy to learn and to use.
But last month I upgraded to canon g15. I wanted to be able to shoot RAW, and to play with shutter/iso/aperture a bit more.
here are a few shoots I took in Feb, in Cozumel, with the Sealife DC 1400 Pro.
PS: I had to shrink the pictures a little to fit them on, and since I am at work I just did a quick resize :p

PICT0170.jpgPICT0212.jpgPICT0249.jpgPICT0432.jpgPICT0485.jpgPICT0589.jpgPICT0742.jpgPICT0743.jpg

You both have some very nice shots, especially considering you are using a p&s camera, and are lacking a strobe. Adding a strobe or two will add a great deal to the colour of your images, assuming you can get close to your subject. The lower-powered strobes will only have an effective distance of perhaps 3 - 5 feet.

If I were to add one bit of advice "Wench", in addition to the "try to get closer" that others have mentioned, it would be to also "get lower". If you can shoot at a sightly upward angle, you will probably find the shots more pleasing. Sometimes having a brighter bit of "sky" showing can add a nice effect.

And of course be sure to avoid crashing into anything while you are "getting down"... :)

JGriffin, I am so excited for you and cant wait to see your shots! Oh, and do tell about this UW egg gunt! FUN!!

Mike, great shots!

Stoo, thanks for the suggestions, I'm working on it. ASfar as 'crashing' on the reefs, I'd elect to miss the shot first

No pics. :( The conditions weren't very good for the dive Sat. There was cloud cover the entire day and not very good visibility. With that plus the fact that there was some surge and it was my first time doing a beach dive I ended up not even taking my camera in the water. :( We didn't even do the Easter egg hunt. The person who was organizing it was sick all week and the conditions probably wouldn't have been good for it anyway. On the up side I did learn the proper way to do a beach entry and exit. I'm hopefully doing another dive next month and will get to take some pictures then.

Video strobe or light for DC1400 ?- If you could only choose (well afford) one - which would you go for? I know the logical answer depends whether you are more likely to take video or stills - but even so..if pushed to choose what would it be and reasons why? I am good at composition when it comes to stills yet new to UW photography, OK with video on land and know very little/nothing about the manual controls, but would like to learn over time. I'd like to learn more about underwater photography over time. The array of camera choices and UW housings and lenses and strobes... all seems pretty overwhelming, hence thinking of getting the DC1400 which seems to get good reviews - except for lack of RAW - for which I don't really fully understand the significance...

Personally, I would go with the strobe, and two of them if you can swing it. I'm just not sold on the video light for any purpose other than taking video, which I rarely do anyway. I just prefer photos... You can't frame a video and put it on your wall or computer wallpaper. Besides, from what I've seen, the video light won't fill the frame with light unless you are really close to the subject... It almost seems to work more as a focus light. And yes, the lack of RAW is one of the main drawbacks of the Sealife cameras (that and battery life). RAW would allow you to manipulate the white balance after the fact with photo editing software. I do still highly recommend the DC1400 though. I just wish they would come out with a better battery for it and at least offer an option for an internal camera with RAW. I realize they want to keep their price point down, but I think most people would be willing to spend $200-$300 extra for RAW capability if that's what it came down to.

Back
Top Bottom