UW Technics TTL Converter and YS-D2J issues - Sony A6500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WyattGlynn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

I have a Sony A6500 in a Nauticam housing and run dual YS-D2J strobes with S&S fiber optic cable II M/2 18". I recently purchased a UW Technics TTL-converter for a couple reasons, one of which is being able to exceed the camera's sync speed of 1/160 when the camera's flash is used (my understanding is that you can shoot up to 1/250 with that camera and not capture the shutter in the picture).

I set everything up for TTL operation and it appeared to be working, and I recall it would allow me to set a shutter speed faster than 1/160. I then followed the instructions to put the strobes in manual mode and tested that. Everything worked fine - still does in manual mode. When I went back to the TTL settings, two things happened. 1) My shutter speed was limited to 1/160 and 2) every picture was extremely underexposed - i.e., essentially completely black. If I crank up the flash comp to ~+3 EV, I can actually see what I shoot, but it is still underexposed.

I contacted UW Technics and they said that the issue is with the YS-D2J strobes, and their TTL circuitry. UW Technics has actually been helpful so far. They have been responsive and said they'd make me a new custom sample TTL-converter to try to address the problem - but that it will still likely have issues given the strobes. I was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions or has experience with trouble shooting this issue with these strobes?

The shutter speed issue is what is making me think that something has gone awry with either my camera or the TTL-converter. Am I crazy/misremembering what actually happened? I didn't think the shutter speed would be limited in TTL mode, but maybe I was mistaken? Any help is appreciated!

AFAIK, the 1/160s sync speed limitation is removed when using a TTL converter with A7/A9 series full-frame cameras, but not with A6xxx series APS-C.

Thanks. Looks like I'm limited to shooting in manual if I want to exceed 1/160, then...

By manual you mean ambient light?

For the reference, there is a possibility to exceed 1/160s sync speed on A6xxx, but it requires HSS-capable strobes and the appropriate firmware in the UW-Technics converter. Right now, the only underwater strobes that I know of that support this are Retra Prime and Retra Pro. I have a pair of Retra Pros, but my UW-Technics converter does not yet have the needed firmware revision.

By manual you mean ambient light?

For the reference, there is a possibility to exceed 1/160s sync speed on A6xxx, but it requires HSS-capable strobes and the appropriate firmware in the UW-Technics converter. Right now, the only underwater strobes that I know of that support this are Retra Prime and Retra Pro. I have a pair of Retra Pros, but my UW-Technics converter does not yet have the needed firmware revision.

No, I mean setting the TTL-converter in "manual" mode through the camera's settings per UW's instructions (i.e., not shooting in TTL). If I set the camera to "wireless" flash and then control the intensity of the strobes through the camera's flash comp, it will allow me to exceed 1/160 for my shutter speed.

did you talk to Pavel. He is the guru of all things UW technics. If he says it should work it will.
Bill

No, I mean setting the TTL-converter in "manual" mode through the camera's settings per UW's instructions (i.e., not shooting in TTL). If I set the camera to "wireless" flash and then control the intensity of the strobes through the camera's flash comp, it will allow me to exceed 1/160 for my shutter speed.

It might be different in A6500, but in my A6300, I was able to get it into a mode where it would let me exceed 1/160s with flash set to wireless, but then it wouldn't fire the flash at all.

did you talk to Pavel. He is the guru of all things UW technics. If he says it should work it will.
Bill

I have not. I'm assuming that is a member of this board? Sorry, I'm new to the forum...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom