Would love your feedback on my UW Shots as a novice with my SeaLife 1400 in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like others say ..could be closer on some...the first one of part 2 is my favorite. You had a good trip.

Is this camera automatic mode only or can you put it in manual and be able to manually change the ISO, shutter and F-stop, etc.?

Is this camera automatic mode only or can you put it in manual and be able to manually change the ISO, shutter and F-stop, etc.?

You can completes adjust all the functions in manual mode. It does have some limitations however such as the following.

ISO: Auto / 64 / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 3200.

Aperture: F2.8 / F7.9.

No RAW format.

It’s not like an SLR but it’s very close, it’s a very good introductory camera that also has HD video.

Here’s the owner’s manual if you’re interested in knowing more.

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/sites/sealife/files/products/manuals/DC1400_IM_English 092712.pdf

You can also add a flash with 10 manual brightness controls.

My next addition is a wide angle fisheye lens.

All this for about $1,000, not bad for a first UW camera.

Very impressive shots for a beginner, you must have a lot of natural talent! Not to mention lots of ambient light! However, if you want to take your pics to the next level, I would say you need to shoot manual mode, and external strobes are absolutely essential, unless you are blessed with a lot of ambient light. Shooting RAW helps a lot too, because you can fix white balance later quite easily.

I started with a SeaLife, and flailed around in automatic mode for 2 years. Once I took an underwater photography course where basically the emphasis was to shoot in manual mode, my shots improved a lot. The compact Canons (i.e., G15, S100, S110, etc) give better quality shots, especially for macro, and are easy to use in manual mode, and shoot RAW. I would definitely recommend one of these high-end compact Canons over Sea-Life.

I also agree with Dandy Don to not even try taking pictures underwater until you are very comfortable with your buoyancy, etc.

Your pictures are beautiful, especially for your first time using the DC1400. I am still playing around with mine and can say that it's a click, repeat, click, repeat process. You seem to have a knack for UW photography.

I am having trouble with the fisheye lens. I can't seem to get pictures that are not fuzzy. I wish I hadn't deleted them, but I also know this is a learning process and the "next" dive trip I'll try other options. I haven't been brave enough to use anything other than the automatic setting, but I intend to step out of my comfort zone next trip!

Very nice photos. Did you use or do you have any strobes? I do not find I need them in the open clear water but they do work great in the darker waters of the north east. Also while night diving.

Thanks JGriffin and Wineaux

For a first time owning and shooting UW, It exceeded my expectations.

Now I've heard people voicing negative comments about the piano buttons being hard to work UW, I don't have large hands, if that makes the difference because I had no issues.
I use 5 mm gloves in the north east and do not have any issues with the buttons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom