Would like some advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Venedlor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My LDS had a sale on AL100cf for 199 (normaily 239). Brand new. I grabbed the last two and put them on layaway. I have been looking to get some tanks because I am tired of renting nitrox tanks for $16 each. Also I am going to go for my DM and try to get a part-time job on a boat. Now my question is, did I make a bad choice or should I have looked around more for a better tank?

One more thing, if I get used tanks (never know when you will need more tanks) what should I look for and where should I look for it?

The only reason that would entice me to buy a new tank is if it came with free fills for life from the dive shop I purchased the tank from. Even then, it'd be kind of a stretch. Normally, I look for used tanks (within my budget). Craigslist and the classifieds section here on SB are two great resources to help you find used tanks. I'm sure there's a few other forums that also have classifieds sections but I'm not too familiar with them.

Things to consider when looking for a used tank (aside from the obvious service pressure and volume) are the manufacturer, date the tank was made, last hydro date, last visual inspection date, and how it was stored when not in use. If it's a tank that hasn't had a hydro or visual inspection done in a long time, ask if you can open up the valve and inspect the inside of the tank.

Once you get the information, compare it to a data sheet like this one (Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan) to determine if the buoyancy characteristics of the tank are within the range that you would be comfortable diving with.

Then, you can compare with previous sales for similar tanks in your area and determine what a fair price would be.

AL100 are big bulky cylinders for what you get in terms of gas. And in the case of Luxfer also buoyant. I would have gone for an HP100 slightly more expensive but a smaller and lighter cylinder with good buoyancy.

i go smaller, now... if i can, i use AL63's... if i sling a bottle or need a deco bottle, i use an AL40...

Back
Top Bottom