Would Like Info About a Tank I Have

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSquared18

Reaction score
I'm not a SCUBA diver myself, but a few years ago I bought a tank when I thought I was going to take up SCUBA diving. As things turned out, I wasn't able to achieve that goal because of health reasons.

I'd like to sell the tank but have no idea what it's worth. It was pressurized when I bought it and has held that pressure ever since.

This is what the tank tells me: It was manufactured by U.S. Divers Company and is composed of aluminum. On the bottom is stamped "A31B" Near the neck is stamped "DOT 3AL 3000 DOT-SP 64 98-3000 P5335 USD 1 73"

What does this information tell you about the tank? What does it NOT tell you?

Could someone please tell me whether that information tells you enough to estimate how much it is worth on the used market. (Is there a used tank market!?)

Thanks for your help!

Bill B.

Hi,

Sorry to hear diving didn't work out. For an alunimum 80 I would say the most you could get for it would be around $80.00. If it is not in current hydro $50.00 would be more reasonable. This is assuming the tank is in good condition. 80's are fairly common and run about $150.00 new.

BSquared18 once bubbled...
I'd like to sell the tank but have no idea what it's worth. It was pressurized when I bought it and has held that pressure ever since.

Could someone please tell me whether that information tells you enough to estimate how much it is worth on the used market. (Is there a used tank market!?)

Thanks for your help!

Bill B.

Bill, trust me that tank isn't worth ANYTHING! But you sound like a nice guy, so tell you what. Though it's not really worth it, I'll give you $20 for the tank, you pick up shipping and we'll call it even.

If you have anything else you need help getting rid of, don't hesitate letting me know. :wink:

Marc

No, there isn't enough information to tell me how much it's worth. There is enough information to tell me I won't know what it's worth until it is hydro'd. It's been out of hydro since January, 1978. If it passes hydro, and it's pretty, you can probably get the $80 mentioned before.
Rick

It needs a hyro test, cost you about $30 or so. If it passes, assuming paint is unscratched and general real good condition, you can likely get $75 or so on Ebay.

If it fails, it's trash and you're out the cost of the test.

Without the test its worth $50 max, likely less.

Tom

Uncle Pug,

That is something that has always amazed me. I can get an AL80 new for about $120.00. I see them on e-bay for that and more, then they have to pay shipping. I always wondered about that.

Ah, but there are deals to be made out in auction-land. I bid for two AL80 tanks in a dutch auction, paid $40 per + $14 shipping per. It took a little over a month for the guy to get them hydro'd and viz'd before sending them to me (I was nice about it :) .) When I received the tanks, there were three instead of two, hydro'd and viz+'d - all for the initial price, a "shipping took a little longer than expected" present. :D

Thanks for the info. I'll put it in our garage sale for $50. If I can't sell it, maybe we can use it as a decoration or door stop or take a whiff of the oxygen on stressful days.

FLL Diver, thanks for the offer. I'd hate to take advantage of your generosity though!

Bill B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom