Would it be weird...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From experience elsewhere (my Galapagos trip), some ATMs might have a limit on how much money you can get out per day, and there's a change you'll have a non-network ATM fee, so if you get multiple withdrawals it might run a small add-on cost.
Your home bank will set your maximum per day as well, but then dive ops usually charge in USDs so I don't see an advantage in using Pesos there. My op's rates are for payments not using credit cards (my suggestion to him actually) which drives his costs up. I pay him with Zelle, easy & cheaper for both of us.

I always bring a good amount of cash. It seems to be appreciated vs local currency or CC.

Don't mean to be "preachy" but I personally think that you should be looking at instruction quality, equipment quality, etc.....vs a bit of difference in price.. Will the kids already have their own gear or using the typical OW class rental gear?

If I was in your shoes I would go with a top rated, top agency facility in Coz... then have the kids do all of their academics and confined water work with that same agency here at home prior to the trip and then arrange a referral for the OW work.. That way your kids are only spending a couple days of your trip in class and more time diving with you as a family...

Another alternative would be to pay in cash with pesos obtained from an ATM. That's what I do.

Pay in dollars right now - Peso exchange rate sucks at the moment

Absolutely ask shops for pricing - just going off website pricing might not get you all the discount.

For the kids getting their OW - it's a great idea to have them do a DSD before commiting to an OW class BUT and it's a huge BUT - if you are going to do OW here, there is a bunch of work that can be completed online before you get here (which means you are commited to OW before you arrive).

I highly suggest getting with a dive shop now, getting the kids started on the online portion of OW, your PADI/SSI online will get affiliated with a dive shop, get that completed before even getting here - you are on vacation, minimize the hours of class time by completing the online stuff.

Aldora gave us 10% off for paying in cash. We used USD, but I *believe* same deal would have held for pesos.

A "money strategy" I've used is to pay for most of what I think I'll spend up front as a deposit. At the end of the trip, I'd only owe a small amount and I didn't have to worry about holding a bunch of cash or using a credit card.

Many people will say to do your academic and pool work locally before coming to Cozumel, but if you decide to go that route just be sure that the dive shop you start with locally is with an agency (PADI, SDI, NAUI, SSI, etc.) that gives you the options you need on Cozumel.

I'm neither a PADI fan-boy nor a PADI hater, but there's no doubt that PADI has the largest number of instructor options for you on Cozumel. Other agencies like NAUI and SDI may only have literally 2 shops with instructors in Cozumel, which may not work for you. Case in point, I was interested in an SDI specialty recently and only found 2 instructors on Cozumel -- and one was out of town for several months around the time I wanted to take it, and the other was not very friendly and quoted a super high price.

Just something to be aware of. And while some dive shops will still do a "universal referral" where they do check-out dives for people who started with a different agency, (1) not all Cozumel shops will take referrals from other agencies and (2) not all shops that you start with will cooperate with you finishing your cert with a different agency.

A general rule of thumb here that will save you 5-15% - whatever you are paying for, pay for it in the advertised currency. Dives priced in dollars, pay in dollars - cab rides priced in pesos, pay in pesos. Do not let who you are dealing with set the exchange rate, you will absolutely end up on the short end - a 50 peso cab ride easily becomes $5 - a honest example with an extreme % but when you do that all week with two grand, it does add up.

Getting pesos - there are many threads on that. You can bring them with you, get them at your bank but first ask what that exchange rate will be. You can withdraw from an ATM here and as long as you withdraw in a bulk amount (pay service fee once which is actually mostly only a few bucks), deny the special offer exchange rate - you will get a better rate than using any local exchange place.

Don't ever withdraw dollars here - never ever - it's like $40 usd to withdraw $400 usd.

Paying for dives in pesos - you get shafted twice on that. You bought pesos at a 5% premium and now you are paying at their exchange rate which will be above the market rate - no kiss comes with that - your 10% cash discount becomes zero discount.

Don't all ops list rates in USDs? Then why pay in MXNs? And Zelle is so easy.

Paying for dives in pesos - you get shafted twice on that. You bought pesos at a 5% premium and now you are paying at their exchange rate which will be above the market rate - no kiss comes with that - your 10% cash discount becomes zero discount.
I don't think so. I get pesos from the ATM at the official exchange rate and my dive shop uses the same number to equate pesos to my dive bill in dollars. I am out the ATM fee but it's down in the noise.

Back
Top Bottom