Would it be weird...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bouyant1

Registered
Reaction score
Since my husband and I will be diving multiple times in Cozumel over three weeks and we'll be buying PADI dive training/certification for our two teenaged children, would it be weird to message the dive shops that pick up nearby where we'll be staying and ask them each for a price quote? Or is that a normal thing that people do when planning big dive trips?

Not weird all. A lot of the shops are offering variety of open water courses and will love to have additional business . Depending on the age of your kids however, not all are willing or suited to train them. May require a private instructor.

Most or all of the shops will have prices on their websites too. Depending on how much diving you'll be doing, etc., they may be able to put together a package price. Be sure to let them know exactly what you're looking for. The shops can be a wealth of helpful information.

If you're looking to crunch the budget down, if you're willing to do it, you might ask if there's a cash discount, as in 'you bring cash instead of using a credit card.' It probably wouldn't be a big difference, but for sake of argument let's say it's 3% off the dive package total. Are you willing to take a big wad of cash on you in order get save that money?

Sounds like you're asking if your family can get a group rate. Nothing wrong with that. I don't know the latest recommendations on youth a max. depths; will the kids be diving like adults after certification, if things go well?

Comparing dive op.s can be an apples to oranges comparison. Here's what I'm talking about. You might dive with an op., I'll call it Op. A, that mostly uses 80-cf tanks (which IIRC have around 77.something cf at 3,000 PSI, their rated fill pressure), but can get 100-cf tanks. But 100-cf tanks tend to have a rated fill pressure of 3,300 PSI, and your tanks will likely be filled to around 3,000 PSI, so roughly around 90-cf. Still a meaningful boost, but not quite what you thought.

But let's say you compare to Aldora. Last I heard, Aldora has high-pressure 120-cf steel tanks on offer, and for example if Dad's an air hog, that could be wonderful. If he's not, those big tanks might let you guys get in 2 long dives per morning, and do other things in the afternoon (if that's what you wish to do).

Whether Aldora or Op. A (whichever that is) is the best option for your family is up to you. Just know there are differences.

And don't forget to budget for tipping boat crew. You may already know this and I don't know how much traveling you do. I try to squeeze water (value) of a rock (budget) on my dive trips, and for the cost of 4 divers (some in training) on a trip, I figure you might be, too.

Richard.

Since my husband and I will be diving multiple times in Cozumel over three weeks and we'll be buying PADI dive training/certification for our two teenaged children, would it be weird to message the dive shops that pick up nearby where we'll be staying and ask them each for a price quote? Or is that a normal thing that people do when planning big dive trips?

No! I would even ask for a discount if you intend to spend loads of cash at their dive outlet.

You might consider purchasing a "Discover Scuba Diving" course there for your teenagers first--just in case one or more of them might not take to diving. These discover courses consist of a couple of hours of instruction followed by a shallow dive or two in benign water with the instructor. If your teenagers turn out to like the experience, maybe then have them take the "real" certification course. The shop might even discount the price of the subsequent "real" course. Doesn't hurt to ask about this.

rx7diver

It's called Shopping. Nothing wrong with negotiating at all.

No problem asking, where your staying could be a problem. Example parents dive OP goes out of Fontar but the shop is downtown. Kids class doesn’t start till after the morning rush so how’s everyone getting back and forth ?
I’d suggest you stay somewhere with a shop that has access to a pool or water entry and either accommodations on site or very near.
Personally an all inclusive ( which I don’t stay at anymore) but Scuba Club is excellent.
For a more economical suggestion Stay at Villa Blanca and dive with Scuba Mau
Everything is right there and that way your not having to arrange transportation, food or rooms.
Just my 2 cents.

If you're looking to crunch the budget down, if you're willing to do it, you might ask if there's a cash discount, as in 'you bring cash instead of using a credit card.' It probably wouldn't be a big difference, but for sake of argument let's say it's 3% off the dive package total. Are you willing to take a big wad of cash on you in order get save that money?
Another alternative would be to pay in cash with pesos obtained from an ATM. That's what I do.

Another alternative would be to pay in cash with pesos obtained from an ATM.
Sounds good. A few issues might come up...

1.) From prior discussions, don't use the street ATMs; IIRC, an ATM at a bank or the Mega supermarket should be okay?

2.) From experience elsewhere (my Galapagos trip), some ATMs might have a limit on how much money you can get out per day, and there's a change you'll have a non-network ATM fee, so if you get multiple withdrawals it might run a small add-on cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom