Would an ROV be a good tool to have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
This one is really aimed at you guys doing hull cleaning and other smaller jobs. Not the commercial big boys.

Do you think a small ROV would be a useful tool to have?

Inspections without getting in the water?
Taking a quick peak at a potential customer's boat, dock, etc, for an estimate without even needing to suit up?
Maybe even sending it in at the start of a job to help decide which tools to bring?
For recovering a lost item? Make the ROV do all the work, and then you splash after you find it?

When I say small, I'm talking less than a square foot, under 20lbs. including the controller, tether, power supply, and only a few hundred $.

Dude, you don't have to justify buying a new toy to us. ;-)

That being said, there are very few situations where an ROV would be of much use to a hull cleaner. If you are going to drag your ass and the gear down to a job, you might as well get in the water and do it, IMHO.

Well it would definitely be a cool toy...especially if I put a nice shark mouth on it. Although I'm currently trying to scale down on the toys.

Just trying to decide if it would actually have any real use...besides impressing chix. :wink:

Seriously though, most situations where an ROV would be applicable in a hull cleaner's world are just as easily done with your own eyes. For instance, when quoting a price for a job? Once you have some experience, you can look at the hull from the dock and know what cleaning it is going to involve and what to charge. Hell, most times you don't even need to see the boat. Just ask the right questions over the phone or via e-mail and you'll get a pretty good idea of the condition of the bottom paint.

There are other situations where an ROV could be used, but again, typically it would probably easier and faster to simply get in the water and put your own eyes and hands on the problem. For instance, when doing a retrieval, I frequently never actually see what it is I'm going after. Sometimes hands in the mud is the only way to find it. An ROV is not going to do that for you.

Very good point! I didn't think of the obvious. Most growth is on the water line anyway. And now that I'm down here, the water is so clear, you can see with your own eyes without even getting in.

I'm just saying that once you've been in the business awhile, you can get a pretty good idea of what lies below the waterline from a quick look at the boat from the dock or from asking the right questions at first contact with the owner. I'm not saying I don't ever get surprised, but it doesn't happen very often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom