Worthwhile diving in Moorea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm thinking of a possible South Pacific trip in 07' and am looking for somewhere accessible from LAX that would be good for a not-just-diving trip. I've heard both really good an really bad reviews about Moorea. Just out of curiosity, does anyone think Moorea (or anywhere else in the Society Islands) is worth checking out, and can you really dive with humpback whales there?:06:

Mantasscareme,

i've dove Moorea many times and have racked up around 40 - 45 dives on that island alone. i can't say enough good about the diving there. great dive sites, great dive shops, wonderful visibility, marine life, etc.

if you plan to travel more of French Polynesia, the company 'TopDive' has a dive shop on just about every island there. you can buy a dive pass, for multiple dives, and use it at any shop. at least that's how it was last time i was in Moorea, about a year ago. TopDive run a pretty good operation.

however, the dive shop that i use on Moorea is base at the 'Pearl Beach Resort' (http://www.pearlresorts.com/moorea/main.asp) and it called 'Moorea Blue Diving Centre (http://www.pearlresorts.com/moorea/diving.asp). i would reccomend these guys to anyone, and have been diving with them for more than 10 years.

the only problem that i have with Moorea, is that you can pretty much do everything there is to do on the island, other than spend your time diving, in just a couple of days. of course, i spend all of my time diving there, so it doesn't bother me.

One good tip: Air NewZealand flies from LAX to Auckland stopping in Tahitti. so i usually fly to Auckland for a vacation and stop in Moorea for a week of diving.

hope this helps.

cheers,

JE

Wow, thanks for your help! What kind of marine life do you get there?

While diving in Moorea you're always surrounded by sharks. mostly black tip and white tiip reef sharks. there are a few lemons, and at certain sites there are grey reef sharks. So be sure you're comfortable with that.
there is also the regular multitude of tropical marine life. quite a few turtles (with some that are resident at certain sites), moray eels, large Nepolean Wrasse, etc, etc, etc. great place to dive.

i'm sure if you wanted pictures you could send an email to either TopDive or Moorea Blue Diving Centre for some.

i've dove many places and Moorea still ranks as one of my favorites. check the prices though, diving in Tahitti is pretty expensive. if you plan to dive there it is a good idea to pick a dive shop at a resort and see if you can work a deal on either accommodation or diving.

Cheers,
JE

I only did a few dives there but the sharks were awesome. Didn't expect to enjoy French Polynesia, but a lovely lady named Merita who was my seatmate from the Cooks to Papeete convinced me I would. She was right!

How's the language barrier? I've heard that not many people in FP know English, and I can't speak a word of French.

Mantasscareme:
How's the language barrier? I've heard that not many people in FP know English, and I can't speak a word of French.

Neither do I and did not have a problem. Most everyone speaks english as well.

I've never had a problem there because of the language. Most ppl speak english, or at least a little. If all else fails resort to the International Language of Charades.

In any case everyone that i have encountered there has been very friendly and patient with those that don't speak french.

Cheers,

JE

I enjoyed the diving on Moorea...it's not very colorful, but plenty of sharks, small blacktips, pretty decent size grays and HUGE lemons and Turtles on most dives. I did a week there with Bathy's Dive Club at the Intercontinental Hotel. Very nice op, and an even nicer hotel. I also did a week on Bora Bora. BEAUTIFUL!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom