Question How's the east side of Tahiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidhack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Planning a 10 day trip to French Polynesia at the end of October. Already diving in Moorea for five days, but now deciding whether to stay on Moorea or explore the east side of Tahiti (or some other area?). I've heard good things about Mokarran Diving, but wondering Tahiti is worth checking out or if we should just explore more of Moorea. Any recommendations for in or out of the water on either island would be much appreciated.

I did not dive Tahiti, but Bora Bora and Moorea were pretty great. Heading back in a few months to the Tuamotus. You’d have to fly to them but they look to have amazing diving.

Jump on a plane to Rangiroa or Fakarava.

Rangiroa then. Amazing dolphin interaction. Fakarava North, Rangiroa and Rurutu (humpbacks) were my favorite spots.

I am going to Moorea in February, so I look forward to reading your writeup when you return. First time to the area and looking forward to some good shark encounters.

Hey. Thanks for asking. The trip was good. Unfortunately we missed the whales by a week or so and honestly didn't see anything that impressive despite diving 5 days. We saw some dolphins far away at the end of a dive and some glimpses of lemon sharks and we also missed a mother whale and it's baby which arrived as we left, but I was really hoping for whales or mantas or something massive to dive with. We decided to spend more time on Moorea rather than Tahiti, which was nice since there's stuff to do above the water there (hiking, exploring, etc), but honestly, the diving wasn't even close to Fakarava. There was a fun dive where 5 or 6 black tip sharks were circling the boat before we even got in and they followed us around during the dive, but not like the walls of sharks at Tetamanu. I also missed the massive Napoleons and perfectly timed drift dives at Tetamanu which is only possible since the tidal channels there shift like clockwork. The ops at Moorea Blue Diving were super nice and competent, but definitely seemed more conservative compared Fakarava ops with depths and repeated some sites in the few days we were there. I think when you go to a place like Fakarava, the ops know you're a serious diver since that's all there is to do there. We had a lot of fun, but left wanting more.

PS. Casa Vincenzo makes fantastic neapolitan pizza. Ate there twice.

Thanks for the info. We are staying Manava Beach and Moorea Blue as well. Did you rent a car? Any other local knowledge we should have?

We just rented a car for a day to explore the island, otherwise the hotel and restaurants can arrange cars for you.

Manava is super nice and provided great service.

The snorkeling across the lagoon from Manava is great. Saw turtles, sharks, octopus, etc. Can swim it or use a free kayak to get over there.

Highly recommend grabbing a bottle of rum (maybe coconut rum) and some limes, then buy a fresh coconut from the pool stand and making yourself a cocktail. All cocktails are pretty steep and on the light side, so I mostly make my own cocktails. The raw sugar for coffee and limes makes for a great daiquiri.

Sashimi on the islands is wacky since it's usually served with a sweet sauce, so I brought my own soy packets.

Tiki Parc has some good hiking, just bring bug spray and water.

It was a bit stormy while we were there with high winds on some days, if I had more time I would have taken kite surfing lessons on the north west side. Also would have kayaked to coco beach for lunch some day right by the surf area.

Back
Top Bottom