Worthington or Faber steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The iron phosphate is, I am told, not a big deal - it is actually just a fortuitous side effect of the cleaning process the tank undergoes, and probably isn't going to have much long term effect anyway.

I have a real prejudice in favor of hot dip galvanization, but you just don't hear of the sort of problems at hydro time with HP Fabers as have haunted the HP PSTs. When the Worthington HPs first came out I asked a Worthington rep if they would require the special "rounding out" procedure the PSTs did, and he told me they did not, and hinted that there was something a bit sketchy about the PSTs, that they did need it. So it is somewhat ironic that Worthington has changed its mind, and has me wondering if maybe there is some inherent problem with galvanization and the steel alloy used in exemption tanks.

Not that I would avoid Worthingtons for this reason. Make sure the hydro shop does the rounding out, and the tanks should outlast you. And hot dip is hard to beat for exterior durability.

Leadking, you know a heck of a lot about tanks and especially Worthingtons. I'd be interested in your comments on the above.

You pretty well nailed it. It our tests the phosphate interior vs. untreated only slowed down the rusting by a few hours. I cannot say for sure, but my belief the hot dip zinc's bond to the steel cylinder needs to be "flexed" to have an accurate hydro.

Faber cylinders do not have a "ZINC" coating on the inside, they have a phosphate finish (iron phosphate)

Both are good quality cylinders. The Worthington's should be hydro'd by a facility that understands that galvanized cylinders need a slightly different protocol.

I had 2 hydro'd and they passed. How do I know they followed the "different protocol" ? Will it fail is not followed please explain the ins and outs of what you mean "different protocol" I have 2 more that need hydro this year coming up and would like to make sure they know what to look for or what to do.
If they passed did they do what they were suppose too ? If they did not could they have damage my tank (down the road) ? PLEASE EXPLAIN to a nob like me.
thanks in advance.

Meant Zinc Coating on Outside

There is a special procedure PST and now Worthington specify for their galvanized tanks, that calls for pressurizing the tank to almost test pressure then depressurizing before doing the actual test. It is not an official procedure it just took advantage of a loophole in the DOT regs to give the tank a little extra help in passing. So hydro shops are not required to do it and may not even know about it.

If it was not done to your tanks, and they passed, fine. Not doing it did not harm your tanks in any way. Just make a copy of the Worthington SB Leadking has linked if the tanks are Worthington, or PST S-100 or 101 if they are PST, bring it along next time you have them hydroed and make sure the shop understands the procedure and will do it.

For lots more info, do a search here for "rounding out", PST P100 or p101 or "failed first hydro"

I had 2 hydro'd and they passed. How do I know they followed the "different protocol" ? Will it fail is not followed please explain the ins and outs of what you mean "different protocol" I have 2 more that need hydro this year coming up and would like to make sure they know what to look for or what to do.
If they passed did they do what they were suppose too ? If they did not could they have damage my tank (down the road) ? PLEASE EXPLAIN to a nob like me.
thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom