Worthington LP7-77

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheekymonkey:
anyone have a link to purchase one?

I googled for it and couldn't find a price or point of purchase anywhere for it. (either that or it was lost in the other clutter of the search engine).

Phil.... I know you've got these bad boys... help us out here.

Hey S Star:
All of the posted information is correct. A quick comparison (approximate) with a standard Aluminum 80 is the Worthington LP 77 is:

3 inches shorter (steel 23.2" / aluminum 26.1")
Same diameter (both 7.25")
Same capacity (steel 77.0 cuft at 2640 psi / aluminum 77.4 cuft at 3000 psi)
Lower fill pressure (steel 2400 + 10% = 2640 psi / aluminum 3000 psi)
Same standard valve (both Thermo Deluxe K Valve)
One pound heavier out of the water (steel 32.5 lbs. / aluminum 31.4 lbs.)
Five pounds more negative in the water (steel empty -1.0 lbs / aluminum empty +4.4 lbs.)
Finish (steel cold galvanized zinc / aluminum painted)
Bottom (steel round / aluminum flat)

Pricing for these cylinders are set by our dealers, they do not have MAP pricing. Today, you'll most likely find the steel cylinder more expensive, though the margin of difference is closing. If the cost of aluminum continues to skyrocket, it's possible that in the future you could find these two cylinders at your local dive store at the same price.

All in all, it's a good option to evaluate if you are looking to purchase an aluminum 80. There is quite a bit of advantages (including purchasing & wearing about 5 pounds less lead) with the LP77 for relatively little added cost.

superstar:
I am shopping for a cylinder, the LDS has a Worthington LP7-77 steel cylinder. I do not see this cylinder listed on seapearls.com or xsscuba.com. Who has the low down on this cylinder?

I like comparing the LP-77 to the AL-80, it really brings out the worst of the AL-80. I never did like the 80 I just accepted it and adapted to it. I always prefered the old steel 72's. If we were to compare the LP-77 to the old steel-72's how would they match up?

since you're asking comparison against the old 72's...

if you only fill the LP-77 to 2400psi, you only get 70cf. (some shops won't overfill).

So what's the advantage of this tank over an old steel 72? (besides it just being newer ?)

mike_s:

if you only fill the LP-77 to 2400psi, you only get 70cf. (some shops won't overfill).

So what's the advantage of this tank over an old steel 72? (besides it just being newer ?)
Here lies the problem, nobody is making new old steel 72's. If I buy one on ebay I will pay $35-$45 plus another $30-$40 shipping. If I add a hydro and vip thats another $25. If the valve needs replacing add another $40. It makes more economic sence to buy the new LP-77.

mike_s:

How is filling to the + rating "overfilling"? It's filling to the rated pressure!

superstar:
Here lies the problem, nobody is making new old steel 72's. If I buy one on ebay I will pay $35-$45 plus another $30-$40 shipping. If I add a hydro and vip thats another $25. If the valve needs replacing add another $40. It makes more economic sence to buy the new LP-77.

You have a valid point, as shipping costs run the cost up. but if you can pick up some used locally it's not a bad deal if you find the right price.

I had a set of 72's that I bought years ago that were great. I think I paid $50 for both tanks.

However, you're right, if you've got to go through all that you listed, it makes more sense to buy the LP77's.

BTW... I think there is someplace that still makes new steel 72's. I've seen it somewhere, just coudn't find it.

Rainer:
How is filling to the + rating "overfilling"? It's filling to the rated pressure!
It' only over filling for the mathamaticly challenged.

Rainer:

Actually you can only "overfill" to the plus rating if it has the plus on it after hydro. At the second hydro, it might not pass the plus rating and only be rated for 2400psi (instead of 2640psi).

Some folks however pump up LP tanks to 3000psi or 3500psi, or even higher such as 4000psi. Pretty common in cave country. Now that's overfilling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom