Worthington LP7-77

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am shopping for a cylinder, the LDS has a Worthington LP7-77 steel cylinder. I do not see this cylinder listed on seapearls.com or xsscuba.com. Who has the low down on this cylinder?

It is XS Scuba's steel answer to a AL80...with the price of Al going up the cost difference will be a lot closer and with the 77 you will get the advantages of steel over AL (weight ,trim ,over pressure etc...) the coating is good also, they have had it used daily in salt water for about 2 years and it still holds up well. It's not alot different everything wise than the 85. IMHO a superior product over the AL80.

superstar:
I am shopping for a cylinder, the LDS has a Worthington LP7-77 steel cylinder. I do not see this cylinder listed on seapearls.com or xsscuba.com. Who has the low down on this cylinder?

This is new cylinder from Worthington designed to be competitive with the aluminum 80 cylinders. It is made to the same high standards as the other Worthington cylinders, but is cold galvanize sprayed instead of the hot galvanizing dip used on the other cylinders. The cylinder is rated at 77.0 CF @ 2400+ PSI. The buoyancy is -6.8 pounds when full and -1.0 pounds when empty. The empty weight of the cylinder is 32.5 pounds with the standard K valve. The length of the cylinder is 23.2 inches.

Overall, this is a nice cylinder. Any more? Thanks.

Phil Ellis

PhilEllis:
This is new cylinder from Worthington designed to be competitive with the aluminum 80 cylinders. It is made to the same high standards as the other Worthington cylinders, but is cold galvanize sprayed instead of the hot galvanizing dip used on the other cylinders. The cylinder is rated at 77.0 CF @ 2400+ PSI. The buoyancy is -6.8 pounds when full and -1.0 pounds when empty. The empty weight of the cylinder is 32.5 pounds with the standard K valve. The length of the cylinder is 23.2 inches.

Phil Ellis

Phil, how well does it handle over filling?

also, how much in price compared to an AL80 ?

PhilEllis:

Phil Ellis

But the real question is what's it's weight when full of gas???....lol....wait that's another thread......

diver 85:
But the real question is what's it's weight when full of gas???....lol....wait that's another thread......

That's easy. right?

The weight empty is 32.5 pounds

it's -6.8 negative buoyant when full and -1 pound negative with empty. So that's a difference of 5.8 pounds.

So wouldn't the tank full weight 32.5 + 5.8 = 38.1 pounds.

That's the simple math approach but since the bouyant weight difference in water might be slightly off, my number might be slightly off. But I think it's close enough for government work.

compare it to an AL 80 that is 31.4 pounds empty and -1.4 empty and 4.4 full. the same math would put that at 36.4 pounds full. If given the choice between the two tanks, the LP-77 would be my preference.

I've got a feeling that the dive shops and charter boats would prefer the LP77 also. Their compressors and banks don't have to work as hard to fill 40 of these tanks for a dive charter since they are low pressure. this resultings in saving compressor wear and tear, electricty, maintenance, etc. (the hidden costs).

i looked at them this weekend at diver supply,looked like a very nice tank,hard to beat for under 200 dollars,alum 80s are up to 170 now. Is the tank rated at 77 cf at 2400 or the overfill at 2600,if its at 2400 i know what my next tank will be.

divinginn:
i looked at them this weekend at diver supply,looked like a very nice tank,hard to beat for under 200 dollars,alum 80s are up to 170 now. Is the tank rated at 77 cf at 2400 or the overfill at 2600,if its at 2400 i know what my next tank will be.

Page 3 of the above URL at SeaPearls says it's "2400+" (note the Plus)

So to me that means the overfill pressure is the 77cf.

(10% overfill would be 2640psi at 77cf. 2400psi would get you 70cf)

TechDivingLimited also has the Faber version for $150 right now. Based on the buoyancy characteristics I'd probably go with the Worthington, though.

Back
Top Bottom