Worthington closing plant where scuba cylinders are manufactured

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What exactly is the "exemption" all about? I have some low pressure worthington cylinders that won't be due for hydro until 2018. If the exemption is not renewed, will I have a problem getting a hydro?

What exactly is the "exemption" all about? I have some low pressure worthington cylinders that won't be due for hydro until 2018. If the exemption is not renewed, will I have a problem getting a hydro?
No problem with 3AA cylinders

My understanding is that only the HP tanks require the special permit, while LP tanks meet the ancient DOT specs requiring outdated alloys and therefore don't require any special permits.

My understanding is that only the HP tanks require the special permit, while LP tanks meet the ancient DOT specs requiring outdated alloys and therefore don't require any special permits.
I would not call them "ancient DOT specs". 3AA is a standard. E is for exemption meaning the tanks are manufactured out of a non-standard material or process that requires additional monitoring. Virtually all LP cylinders are 3AA material, and some HP cylinders also.

I don't know of any engineer that would consider the chrome-molybdenum alloys (like ASTM 4130) as specified under 3AA as outdated.
Some of the alloys have been around for a while, but they are used a lot in some high tech industries. They are actually considered specialty alloys used in specific applications.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2013 at 07:03 AM ----------

Norris used to make Scuba cylinder in the past. I have a bunch of Norris steel 72 that are great.
I hope this is good news for the Scuba industry, but time will tell.

FYI from XS Scuba:

Thank you for your question. We can confirm that the Tilbury, Canada plant has been slated to close in Q1 of next year. The assets and machinery of the facility have been sold to Norris Cylinders. However, Worthington has not been bought by Norris at all. They are simply closing a production facility.

There is no worry or concern with the Special Permit #14157, as it will continue to be maintained by Worthington indefinitely. Your ability to have your cylinders hydro tested will not be affected now or in the future.

We hope this sets your mind at ease. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

~XS Scuba

scuba tanks are a small niche industry, so there's no assurance Norris will still make scuba tanks, they may focus on industrial cylinders, etc., and drop scuba cylinders. I'm worried, there may no longer be any producers of galvanized scuba tanks anymore, just the painted Fabers.

Norris did release a letter saying they are moving the Worthington ON & OH production to the Huntsville, AL location. But might be worth and dropping an email to the folks in the letter.

In the News - Norris Cylinder

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom