World record Dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheYellowSubmarine:
New specialty volcanic lake diving!
I couldn't try it around here though, the only volcanic lake I've been to was filled with boiling sulphuric acid. Standing on the edge of that lake (White Island for those of you interested) was probably one of the freakiest experiences I've ever had. Just imagining the horrible death you would suffer if the edge I was standing on would just slip in (not that unlikely either, its just sand). The edge was extremely steep, and about 30 down to the lake. The island is a good few hours by boat from the mainland, so even to get a chopper out to you would take way too long. I figured you could probably last 10-20 min because you can pull yourself out of the lake at least most of the way, but the heat and acid would kill you eventually.
*shudders...*

I've just found a description of Lake Licancábur...

"Within the 400 m diameter summit crater (SC) is a fresh water lake, about 90 m x 70 m. This is one of the highest lakes in the world and hosts a planktonic fauna of considerable interest to biologists. A high altitude diving expedition in 1984 found the lake to be <4m deep with a temperature of 6°C at the bottom (Leach, 1986)."

Anyway, this would indicate that the unofficial world record for high altitude scuba diving was set in 1984 at above 19,400+ ft.?

This is fascinating - mind boggling actually. I have lived all my life around 3,300 feet - a half a mile higher than most people in the world, but I have had problems at 10,000 feet. Just climbing to 19,400 ft strikes me as heroic, even tho the lady scientist did marry an experience mountaineer and must have a healthier lifestyle than I.

I looked for more on her expeditions, find this one from Nov 2002: http://www.extremeenvironment.com/2002/field/2002-11-03.htm
Excerpting...
Once the pictures were taken and we all congratulated each other, we now had science to conduct under a very tight schedule. Upon discussion, and for safety measures, we decided that we had to descend no later than 3pm. This gave us an hour to do our science activities.

We were all very excited to be able to finally do science on this lake! No one had altitude sickness or any physical problems from the climb. We had made it as a team. (Christian summated as well about 20 minutes after our descent)

We kicked into high gear for an hour of &#8220;turbo science&#8221;. With the equipment that we had brought to the top, we set up UV plates, took water samples, filmed underwater footage, and took soil samples. At one point, Nathalie used a small rope to toss a water sample bottle into the lake. When she pulled it back, the water in the bottle was still liquid, but the rope was frozen!

After those tasks were done, we took a long last look at the beautiful summit lake. The wind was whipping around us, and we knew we had to get out of there for our own safety. But we knew we would be back next year for follow up science.

Then I found this from Dec 2003: http://www.extremeenvironment.com/2003/field/log/2003_12_07_archive.htm#107116288462032689
Excerpting the diving...
Now I am thinking about the gear. I am slipping into the drysuit. My only concern is to be short of breath when I pull in the neck. It does not happen. I am very comfortable. I meticulously think every movement, everything I am doing. I am already in the water in my mind. I put the hood on. There again, no claustrophobic feeling. This is strange because I remember this being an issue last year at Laguna Verde at 4,300 m during our training. This feels so much more comfortable. Now the gloves but before, Greg comes with the CPOD and the cable. His fingers are cold because of the temperature. He has some difficulty adjusting the pad to my finger and has to try a second time. But that's it. I am wired. This is no training anymore.

Now the tricky part is to put the diving gloves on top of that. They are tight already in normal conditions and this is not helping. Greg is pulling on them very hard. Finally we get there. I just close my eyes for a moment. It is just total peace. Nothing else exists around me anymore, just the sound of water. It seems that time is suspended. I open my eyes again and just have this vision of the crater wall on the other side of the shore and the emerald water.

It's time. I am now ready to go and adjust my mask on my face. I am starting to walk backward into the lake, guided by Rob who is standing behind me. I feel great and so calm. I am not even anxious. Maybe this is what it is to be totally crazy. I am in the water up to my knees. The drysuit is fantastic. I do not feel one ounce of cold. At this point, I give the thumbs up to Greg and the go sign to Rob who moves away from me. I have no hesitation whatsoever. I just throw myself backward in the water. The water feels great, not even cold and the lake grabs me as if with gentle arms. I turn on my belly. The lakebed is all of a golden color. This is so surprising because the color of the water from the surface looks emerald. Gold and vibrant.

For a moment, I loose track of time and where I really am. The vision of the cable on a rock brings me back to the reality of what is still to accomplish. I try to dive a first time to get the cable untangled but obviously I do not have enough weights on my belt. I pop up back at the surface like a balloon. I free the cable and go back to the shore and stand up. I need the other belt, the one with 20 pounds of lead on it. The clothes I kept underneath the suit are adding buoyancy. Rob gives me the second belt and I go back. I try to find a good rock to anchor myself during the free dive to accumulate some time underwater so that Greg can get significant data. I finally find one and I go down! That's it. All these months of work are now paying off. I am peaceful at the bottom, holding this rock like I would a friend's hand.

Once again I loose track of time. It does not matter. I keep my eyes close for quite some time and reopen then shortly before resurfacing. Back at the surface, I am not even out of breath. I go down again several times. I would like to explore more. I then ask Greg to climb in the boat and follow me with the cable. I also ask him to give me the underwater video camera.

After 5 more minutes, he is on the boat and we are passing the camera to each other. He is taking some footage of me underwater and I am taking also some footage of the bottom of the lake. I reach the middle of the lake. There are algae of various colors, going from emerald green to red. I am just enjoying myself but at the surface Greg is having a hard time because the wind is blowing our inflatable boat all over the place and he cannot keep it from going back to shore. The end result is once again that the cable of the CPOD is entangled on rocks, this time a bit deeper which will give me the occasion to do some work between two and three meters depth up there.

I gladly go and get the cable free again. When I resurface, the boat is against the shore and Greg decides that since he has no control over it, he is better of on the shore. We have already some dives and unprecedented data under our belt. Greg also tells me something that stuns me: my O2 saturation was at 91% during the dives! That's something at this altitude! One amazing thing happens as soon as I step out of the water. My entire drysuit gets covered with ice crystals!! That's pretty. That tells also a lot about the temperature out here. Rob is in the water sampling for Aaron. Then, I decide to use the time while Rob and Andy are diving to take the boat and try to do some sonar reconnaissance of the depth of this lake. I have heard all sorts of numbers, from 4 m to 10 m. I push the boat in the water and try to paddle on my own with some measure of success. However, the wind is really strong and as soon as I stop, the boat is pushed back on the shore. Frustrating! Marcello comes to the rescue. He does what he can with the paddling but faces the same problem. While he is struggling, I am taking some sonar measurements here and there. It is impossible to keep a straight profile. As I am doing this, the maximum depth I record next to the middle of the lake is 5.2 m but we may not have passed over the deepest point. Marcello and I give up. This is impossible. Too much wind. We are going back to shore. Aaron is filtering hundreds of liters of water through his plankton nets. This crater is really buzzing with activity.

This is Andy's turn in the water. He is also wired by Greg and do some monitored free diving with the CPOD. What's happening now in this crater is phenomenal. Andy gets out of the water. The three of us have accumulated at least one hour of free diving in this lake this morning, collected physiological data and samples, underwater video and photos. The wind is a bit stronger and it maybe time to get out of here for today. We have spent close to 5 hours in the crater altogether. We collect some of the equipment but leave mostly everything in the crater since we will be back tomorrow.

Macario leads us back out of the crater. Our troop is heading back to the summit camp. We reach it nearly 45 minutes later. Later, Greg is wired and has a big smile. He has a CPOD connected to his finger. He tells me that he successfully sent his vitals live to Ames and Stanford. What a day. We have accomplished a lot, and I really mean a lot. All that has been achieved today is unprecedented. I am now thinking about the weather and what to do. If it holds, we should be able to achieve everything we set for.

We will see how the night goes.
I had thought that they would use oxygen enriched air at least for the climb and dives, but I did not see any mention. Indeed, the diving was done free style - no tanks! Those divers were breathholding at 19,400 feet - omg! This would have greatly reduced the possibilities of excessive Nitrogen loading, tho.

Possibly the same site you referenced? http://www.highestlake.com/highest-lake-world.html
Excerpting...
"Within the 400 m diameter summit crater (SC) is a fresh water lake, about 90 m x 70 m. This is one of the highest lakes in the world and hosts a planktonic fauna of considerable interest to biologists. A high altitude diving expedition in 1984 found the lake to be <4m deep with a temperature of 6 &#176;C at the bottom (Leach, 1986)." I'd sure like to meet the folks who hauled scuba gear up to 19,400 feet!
That was my thought, too, but after reading of the 2003 free dives, I would think that maybe the 1984 dives were free dives, too?

There are higher lakes yet to be dived, tho - from that same source...
Rank Name Meters Feet Region
1 "Lhagba Pool" 6,368 20,892 Tibet
2 "Changtse Pool" 6,216 20,394 Tibet
3 "East Rongbuk Pool" 6,100 20,013 Tibet
4 "Acamarachi Pool" 5,950 19,520 Chile
The lakes in Tibet are not of volcanic origin, are they, therefore may be covered in thich ice, if not frozen solid..? That author refers to them as melt water but I don't know how accurate his work is?

What is the record for the deepest dive on scuba? I heard somwhere it was over 1000ft...that's just crazy.

colsonn:
What is the record for the deepest dive on scuba?

330 m/1,083 ft. This was an open circuit dive (using Apeks regulators) by Pascal Bernabé (Ralf Tech/WR1 Team) on July 5, 2005. The dive took place in the Gulf of Valinco near Propriano, Corsica.

The world record depth for rebreather is 270 m/approx. 885 ft. This was a dive by the late Dave Shaw on October 28, 2004, using a modified Mk 15.5 at Boesmansgat, South Africa. It was also the deepest cave dive on a rebreather and the deepest altitude dive on a rebreather (cave elevation 1,550 m/5,085 ft.)

:confused: I could not find any details on the 1984 expedition and dives - whether they were indeed scuba or free diving.,,?

DandyDon:
:confused: I could not find any details on the 1984 expedition and dives - whether they were indeed scuba or free diving.,,?

Me neither. Apparently the 1984 expedition was/is known as the Leach Expedition and many documents related to Licancábur cite data obtained by two expeditions, Leach and Rudolph.

It really depends on the concentration of sulphuric and or hydrochloric acid. You can have a really low concentration and a low pH and not be dissolved that quickly. High concentrations and really low pH, ouch!! Very corrosive!

It really depends on the concentration of sulphuric and or hydrochloric acid. You can have a really low concentration and a low pH and not be dissolved that quickly. High concentrations and really low pH, ouch!! Very corrosive!
Jeez, man! This thread is 9 years old!

Reactions: RJP

But I bet it dissolved in the NINE YEARS since this thread was originally posted...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom