World Cup winners ??

who will lift the World Cup in July ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Character.

And a tremendous amount of it to boot!

That’s what your Soca Warriors displayed yesterday.

Not many of the international pundits gave us a chance of coming away with a point from the match against the Swedes.

But not only did we get a point, we did it with ten men for most of the second half.

We may be outsiders and underdogs in this tournament, but our manager has underscored the importance of earning respect. Whatever happens now, yesterday’s result would have gone a long way in ensuring that the football world respects us.

We were told by Mr Beenhakker to go out and play to the best of our ability and don’t worry about the occasion. I dare say that we did just that.

Our plan was to make sure that no goals were scored on us and if you found that I played a lot deeper in defence than previously, that was a deliberate ploy.

There was a fierce determination by our players throughout and unlike most other teams who would probably have buckled under pressure after losing a player, our guys doubled up their workload.

They knew that they had to put in an extra 100 per cent to make up for the man who was sent off and they responded well.

Shaka Hislop led us in prayer on the eve of the kick-off ...and how well did he perform. He is another of the senior players and he will no doubt remember yesterday’s match as one of his best ever.

We will obviously be hoping that he can keep a clean sheet throughout the tournament. He is in excellent form.

I will forever remember the roar at the kick-off. The support of our fans has really lifted our spirits and this was a morale-boosting result for us. I thank the whole of T&T and the guys have vowed to continue to give you reason to be proud of us.

We are sure you will have many more days to celebrate.

We have been warned to keep our head on the ground, because if we get too high, the fall could be devastating.

I told the guys that it does not get better than reaching the World Cup finals. I have to admit I was wrong. It got better with yesterday’s draw and, the way we are feeling at the moment, anything is possible.

England and Paraguay must know now that they both have serious football matches on their hands if they want three points against us.

From what I understand, their match, which England won 1-0, was quite close, and it could easily have ended in a draw.

What it means now is that Paraguay cannot afford to lose to Sweden on Thursday. And Sweden will be fighting desperately for three points.

It sets up that match as a real dogfight.

As for us, we will be going to Nuremberg with no pressure on us. England will probably have to readjust their thinking and expectations about the Warriors.

It really is a great feeling. Before yesterday, no one gave serious thoughts about us.

Now, we have them thinking.

Believe me, that’s a great feeling!

It was a good result Trini. Unfortunately I had a very hard time trying to stay awake to watch it but they certainly had a few cracks at the Swedish goal. I suppose the Swedes had a few of their own chances as well and some people might say they were a bit unlucky - but that's part of the game. It could be an interesting group now. England should have done better against Paraguay but actually I think that we're quite lucky to get out of that match with no serious injuries. Can you say 'flying arms and elbows'? Not exactly the classiest football I've ever seen!

Arjen Robben was spectacular, but for me, Serbia were just a shade under being a dirty team. I think I can see how they went undefeated in their qualifying group. Some of their tackles and tactics were less than sportsmanlike.

BTW, since this is the last competition for Serbia & Montenegro, I wonder what kind of football federation Montenegro will have. The vast majority of the players on S&M are Serbians.

Looks like Ricardo La Volpe is off the hot seat....for now. Not sure if I agree with his substitution philosophy, though -- seemed a bit foolhardy at the time.

H2Andy:
cra-aaap

i picked Poland

You shouldn't have. Our guys are hopeless
the way they were playing - distaster....

Mania

ScubaTexan:
Arjen Robben was spectacular, but for me, Serbia were just a shade under being a dirty team. I think I can see how they went undefeated in their qualifying group. Some of their tackles and tactics were less than sportsmanlike.

BTW, since this is the last competition for Serbia & Montenegro, I wonder what kind of football federation Montenegro will have. The vast majority of the players on S&M are Serbians.

Ditto Texan, Robben was in fact spectacular.
But then i've always thought him to possess such talents.
Mercurial comes to mind when I think of him, the Netherlands could have scored a few more goals if they really pushed.

Was definitely impressed with Mexico's play earlier today, great movement on and off the ball, pacy midfielders and forwards.
I love their possession/ short passing method of football.

At the moment I think they're the cream of Concacaf..

Trinigordo:
Iran looked like they came to play. I was clearly not expecting them to play as well as they did.

Iran played better than I expected.
However I thought that the coach made some bad moves in the second half when he took off one of their key creative midfield players and replaced him with a rather nondescript playing guy..

Portugal vs. Angola was a very drawn out game.
Portugal played quite poorly, granted they were without Deco.

But with a performance like this won't see them going far in the World Cup.
As a matter of fact I could see Mexico beating them when they play later this round..

ScubaTexan:
Looks like Ricardo La Volpe is off the hot seat....for now. Not sure if I agree with his substitution philosophy, though -- seemed a bit foolhardy at the time.

Yah I agree, 2 substitutions during half time doesn't seem particularly smart and is kinda pushing your luck.
Especially if player or players become injured during the second half.

Aaack, who would have thought?
A Brazillian playing for Mexico!

This is soccer, right ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom