Workmanship of different drysuit brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove Bare for a long time and love the craftsmanship. Got it in a custom size, so it fit perfectly until I really hit the fitness regimen. After numerous deliberations, I ended up with two finalists: SF Tech (Swiss) and Seaskin (UK); both are neoprene. Will be buying both, starting with SF Tech.

SF Tech is pure awesomeness. Everything on those suits just works and there is incredible precision in every detail. You also get a yearly checkup for free. The current exchange rate makes prices more affordable, especially if you don't load on the options. This is going to be the cave suit.

Seaskin is light. It doesn't have the same attention to detail as SF Tech, but it is fully made to measure and is an excellent value. I'll use it as a backup or for lighter, warmer dives. I am not sure if I will take it caving.

The other usual suspects - DUI, Rofos, Santi, Bare - are good choices too but did not make the cut. DUI - recent quality issues and fairly aggressive pricing for M2M. Rofos and Santi - not really true M2M. Bare's pricing was inline with SF Tech, but I like SF Tech quality better.

Here are some things that I look for in quality:

- Fit. That's where quality starts. If it is not at true made-to-measure suit, I'll pass. If there is a surcharge for made-to-measure, I'll probably pass too. The usual modifications - e.g., shorten legs - are not good enough because every body is different. I don't want to have air bubbles or tightness anywhere.

- Stitching. If you can see stitching, you should see even spacing and high-quality threads. There are some metrics, like stitches per inch, etc, that I won't bother you with. Seaskin's stiching was okay. I say it is definitely passable given the price. I don't see stitches on Bare, SF Tech and other suits, so can't comment.

- Seams. High quality seams will have tape/protection on both sides. Seaskin's seams are taped only on the inside and you can see the stitches through some places. Other suits mentioned above have tape on both sides with stitching invisible.

- Zipper quality. I think all the suits mentioned above have good zippers that will do the job. I can't compare the zipper quality because I could inspect only used suits and I don't know how well the owners treated the zippers. However, SF tech and Bare were super smooth.

- Fabric quality. SF Tech is like a bullet proof jacket with pajama like softness. I can't describe it. You have to touch it. My Bare falls in the middle - good neoprene, good lining. Seaskin seemed to be thinner, so perfect for warmer dives. If I were a serious caver, I'd get SF Tech Neoprene Pro which is lined w Kevlar on the outside.

I do not care too much for valves and seals as these items are easy to replace, so I did not compare. Note, there are many other suits out there. I do not mention them here because I did not dive them or did not have a chance to inspect and compare them in person.

SF Tech is what the OP is probably looking for. They're full kevlar drysuits are probably going to be what you would need for sump diving and perhaps going through tight restrictions.

As a old man, I have had several different brands of suits. I currently have a Seaskin Nova, the workmanship is excellent and you cannot beat the price.
I own 2 SeaSkins, a neoprene and a membrane suit. Been diving them for about 3 years with no issues.
I love them and will buy another when these wears out.
Can't beat the price for a great, custom-made suit.
They seem to be cut pretty slim, if you need thick undergarments add an inch or two to your measurement.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom