Working With Polycarbonate Cement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
How are you supposed to glue polycarbonate together. The instructions on the cement are very vague.

Fast setting cement for polycarbonate, medium to high bond strength. May be applied by dropper, brush, or syringe.

How heavy should it be applied?
Do you apply to both surfaces to be glued or just one?
One coat or multiple coats?
Do you let it sit before assembling or do you assemble the parts as soon as the cement is applied?
How long does it need to set before using whatever it is you gluing.

I'm trying to learn via the experimental method. So far I'm 1 for 2 in making a water proof capsule for a magnifying lense. I might be down to 0 for 2 after I give it the pressure test.

The edges must be straight and free from defects as possible. Put the two pieces together with some weights on them and squirt some of the solvent into the gap. Leave it set at least overnight.

Gary D.

Yah, what Gary sez.
It is supposed to get sucked into the joint via capillary action, so be sure the parts are a perfect fit, no tiny gaps, etc.
Be sure to NOT spill any onto your lap, the stuff is worse than habanero should you get any on the "tender areas"!!! :eek:

Using a syringe with needle helps control the amount of solvent and a cleaner looking bond joint. Weld-On #4 is good solvent for polycarb.

CB

That's going to be tough. One of the parts I need to glue are the pieces on the sides of the housing that the handles are going to get mounted to. There's really no place to put any weight on it. Even clamping it may be a PITA because of the shape of the part.

What about just taping it where I need it and then applying the glue?

I glue polycarbonate and ABS with solvent.
The solvent is methylene chloride.
The bonding faces must be flat or a line fit (ie a round plug in cylinder).
Wet both surfaces by suspending the face in the solvent, about 2-3 minutes.
Clamp the surfaces together to squeeze out any air.
When the solvent evapourates (about 1 hr) it's bonded.

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom