Working in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkarsan

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all!!

I'm a newly qualified OWSI having just finished my IE in the Perhentians in Malaysia and am thinking of reloacating to the Philippines, the only problem is I feel at a bit of a loss where to start!!

I've done some research and am currently thinking about maybe either Boracay or Puerto Galera as options, although from what I gather they're both currently in low season. Does anyone know how quiet they'll be from the beginning of June onwards- is the possibility of getting a job as an instructor there at the moment quite slim??

Being a new instructor I'm also quite keen to start teaching and get my certs up, are Boracay/ Puerto Galera good places for entry level/ con-ed courses as I know a lot of the diving around the Philippines can be for more advanced divers regarding drifts etc??

Any info. or advice anyone could give would be much appreciated!!

Jaimie

p.s. sorry if this should be appearing in another thread somewhere, still very new to SB!!

Start hitting the emails directly to the dive centers in the location where you want to work. You may not receive replies but don't give up.

Physically being in the location helps a lot but you need cash to do this. Visa issues do exist in the Phils- I think the first tourist visa you get is only 28 days.

Send me your CV :) how many languages do you speak? Everywhere will be in "low" season for the coming few months. But that doesnt mean there is no work. Pretty both PG and Bora will have entry level certs I believe, and we do quite a lot here in Malapascua.

---------- Post added ----------

21 days, but I wouldn't worry about that too much in the beginning. Find some work first and see if you like the place...

To reiterate what others have said,

1. There are Visa Issues to "Legally" work in the Philippines.

2. Everyone is low season, but that does mean there are no student divers... PG and Boracy are both fine places to get started...

I wish you luck on finding something..

Cheers,
Roger

"Legally Working"

1. you need a work Visa not a tourisr Visa.
2. you also need a work permit to go with the work visa.

Both = $$$

Thanks all for your posts and advice, will get on to getting in contact with some shops!!

"Legally Working"

1. you need a work Visa not a tourisr Visa.
2. you also need a work permit to go with the work visa.

Both = $$$

With a letter of sponsorship from an employer, you can get a 'Temporary Work Permit' on top of a 'Tourist Visa'. It only lasts 2 months (renewable when you renew your tourist visa), but it's better than nothing. It's more affordable too. The work visa is ludicrously expensive - and if you do plan to be around for more than a couple of years, it's a better long-term option to investigate residency permits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom