First time but not a virgin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rock Hopper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for suggestions on a first time to the Philippines.

Background - For my eldest son and me - rescue divers - good on air - chilled - enjoy above the water as much as below - like to enjoy local, be that food or culture (it's not just about the diving). Love places to see (think Luxor if Red Sea). Been around, red sea, Bali, Dominican, Mexico, Oban - you get the drift - broadly warm water (not Oban, that was bloody freezing) and have done challenging (and multi directional current) to deep. Rec divers to 40m and Nitrox

Wants - hate the term but it does serve a purpose. Good diving, so that feels vague? Like larger pelagic (shark, manta mola) , like turtles, love octopus. Quite happy just seeing lots of fish on a reef! Equally, nudi's, pipefish, seahorses are so cool. Floating above a coral garden is a pleasure some forget. Not into "pure" muck but appreciate the variety. The balance is larger stuff. Most important, its a holiday, not an obsession

Logistics - From the UK, don't mind a few flight swaps, don't want wasted time in airports/first stop hotels (son has a job so I will not waste his holidays). Happy to do more than one centre. Not keen on a LOB as I am not after the max dive, regimented approach, but kay with getting up early, staying out late

So far - Puerto Galera looks like an ideal start. Issue with flights though can get a Cathay into Manila for 11.30am (£1k gulp) but private transfer cost!!! Really!! Don't mind paying more for private but really? And an 11.30 am arrival doesn't leave great options for public transport but is 1/5th the cost.

Also looked at Coron Bay (like wrecks) and Malapascua (Sharks!!!) But cant see how to combine in a way that saves my son holidays.

So much experience here, so much I am missing.

PS Komodo is November .........probably

You did not indicate how long you were planning on staying in the Phils or what time of year, but here is an easy trip logistically and time wise. It is good first trip to the Phils and is not that complicated. It covers a couple dive locations and islands and gives you wrecks and reefs.

Dive Subic Bay and Puerto Galera

You fly into Manila or Clark and spend 3 - 4 days diving the wrecks of Subic Bay. You then go to Puerto Galera (Sabang) for 3 or 4 days. Then back to the airport

Subic Bay is a 3 hour drive by car from MNL and 1.5 hours from CRK. Also, bus service is frequent, cheap and easy. After diving Subic, you can grab a bus back to Manila, spend one night in Ermita and and take the Si-kat Bus/Ferry to PG from City State Tower Hotel at 9:30am. Si-kat is the easiest way to get to PG for someone that is not familiar with the bus routes and ferries as it is all planned out for you. (Many expats in the Phils use Si-kat also, including myself). You should book ahead.

If your flights come into MNL and they are late, I might consider doing this trip in reverse..leaving for PG the next morning after your arrival.

Just an idea for you as this is popular with many of our customers. If you have any questions, please contact me on the links below. ~ Ken

@Rock Hopper
The private transfer is ridiculously expensive. DIY is under US$30.00 pp but you really need to arrive much earlier than 11:30.
CX is also expensive, SQ should be cheaper and with better service.
Getting there is half the fun but that's meant after the trip. Philippines and Indonesia is not known for user friendly ie travelling.

Anilao + PG. Subic if you have more time.

I understand time constraints since your son has to take annual leave for the trip.

Never used Cathay, but I generally use Emirates or SIA to SE Asia, but be careful of connection times as well as arrival times.

For MNL I generally spend the first night in MNL at a hotel next to a mall and purchase stuff there that takes up unnecessary weight in my baggage as well as lots of snacks etc., and arrange private transport to Batangas/Anilao or Subic primarily because I haul lots of camera gear as well. For around $100 it's worth it IMHO.

If you're into wrecks go to Subic first then I'm sure the dive centre can arrange a car to take you to Batangas for the ferry to PG.

Looking for suggestions on a first time to the Philippines.

PS Komodo is November .........probably
Take it easy for the first timer.

Scuba Junkie in Komodo is an option if not interested on LoB.

Thanks all. In terms of timing looking at end May early June, total trip 12/14 days. Been looking at out Monday 22nd May, back Friday 2nd June. Unfortunately son has weekend work 20/21 May and that combined with family stuff early May is driving the dates although we can easily go later.

In term of airlines from the UK (London /Birmingham) they are a) all much of a muchness on price b) expensive comparable to what they were. We travelled to Bali on Malaysian last November c£1k, previously we went with Thai (on the a380) for £600, same flight is now £1.4k. Prices starting to come down but not in time for us. So tend to choose the plane (so no 3-4-3 B777's!). Liked Malaysian especially the "extra legroom" seats on the A350 which are only £60 extra (not badged as PE which attracts Business Class flight tax in the UK). Reason for picking Cathay is that they are about the only flight/connection that doesn't get into Manila mid PM/evening and it's relatively quick (16 hours E2E vs more normal 20+).

I suppose I was trying to avoid an over night coming in as it is a day of holiday. I accept we will need to do that coming back as you never want a sea crossing between you and the airport!

I think that Ken and Searcaigh have cracked it for me, perfect mix. Not sure why, but I hadn't appreciated that Subic bay is on Luzon! Thanks also for the Si-Kat/Hotel suggestions. Check with son but Subic Bay/PG/last night Manila looks like a plan. Also means more flight choice as I don't have to aim for an AM landing

PS always aware of connections. Dubai was where we met the worlds fastest land animal. It isn't a cheetah, it is a 4'6" Emirati lady holding a board for your connecting flight (and 4"of that was heels!). Our flight was late on what was a short connection anyway. My son and I walk at "fast London commuter" and couldn't keep up. 17 minutes from plane exit to boarding the connection in different terminals (and then sat for an hour as the Munich plane was also late).

Thanks again all.

Hi. Check GulfAir from London with stop in Bahrain. 18hours LHR-MNL RT for below £1k.

Haven’t been to SubicBay, but Puerto Gallera and especially Verde Island is great for marine life. Plenty of dive centers and affordable.

Slightly ironic. Trying to sort flights so I can contact Ken for Subic and El Galleon/Scandi for PG. Why do they make it so hard??? The flights that is - phew!

Cathay - can get standard economy out (2x23kg hold) but only light (1x23kg) back on the Saturday. It is fine the day before and day after??? So you say sod em- Singapore, not as good timed flights but.....

Singapore - want to charge £111 for 5kg of luggage - get that luggage can't be over the top, but in practical terms how do you defend £111 for 5kg of luggage. Not going into the passenger size debate.

Cebu Pacific has direct flight from Dubai to MNL.
Check bag and food/drink is extra.

Back
Top Bottom