Working in Maui/Hawaii in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diddler

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all!

Well, after spending 20 some-odd minutes looking for a better place to make this post, I'm just hoping I've stuck it in the most appropriate sub-forum!

To put this simply: I'm interested in the possibility of moving to, living and working in Maui as a dive instructor and I'd like to get whatever information I can to see if it's a viable option.

The background: My girlfriend and I both US citizens, having met while living in California, specifically the SF Bay Area, South Bay. It's a fairly expensive place to live (basically smack in the middle of Silicon Valley) so we're used to big metropolitan sprawl and working a full-time job where nearly half your income goes towards paying rent! :)

About two years ago we fell out of that reality to work as dive Instructors in Thailand, which we did rather successfully. We were living on the cheap, the hours were long but the work was relatively easy, the diving and staff both wonderful. About a month ago we decided we'd seen enough of the small island we were on and figured it was time to look into other options. The possibility of working in Maui came up and now we're trying to figure out if it's a worthwhile gamble to take, leaving south east Asia to the "notoriously" expensive Hawaii.

Basically, we're looking at a job offer in Maui, working in Lahaina/Kihei as scuba Instructors. The upsides are many: being able to go back to working legally, having access to health care, proper shopping, proximity to friends/family on the mainland, basically being able once again to live approximately as we once did in California while continuing in the dive industry. Where we lived and trained in Cali almost no instructors did scuba teaching as their primary job. They had their "real" job that paid for the lifestyle, and teaching scuba was a hobby you did on the evenings and weekends. Our biggest concern with Hawaii is definitely the cost of living, an online calculator we found comparing two sample regions (say, Sunnyvale, California to Kihei, Maui, Hawaii) showed them to be approximately the same. They included variables such as the cost of housing, transportation, food, restaurants, entertainment, etc. Our expected income in Maui sounds at best to be about half what we used to make back in California. :(

We're trying to do some rough number crunches to see if it's viable. One of the biggest expenses (beyond rent) seems to be the requirement of at least one vehicle. My short vacation in Maui a few years ago left me with the impression that a life there on bicycle would be very limited indeed. Other than that we're hoping that 2 years living frugally has taught us enough lessons such that we could live in Hawaii on little pay, without eating ramen noodles for dinner every night. Of course one of the biggest boosts in our favor is the fact that as two instructors we'd be able to split many of the costs, mainly rent and utilities, etc.

Looking for any and all information, especially any people actively (or recently) working in the dive industry, on Maui or any of the Hawaiian islands. Looking for the nitty gritty, the unexpected surprises, the downsides and the upsides, the things that make or break the dream of thriving in an area widely considered an expensive place that you visit, not live in. If Hawaii isn't in our cards our backup option is really a no-brainer, we'll stay in south east Asia and continue working other regions, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, etc. Any and all would be easy to transition into, but none would have all the special features Maui might be able to offer us.

Many thanks in advance!

Ryan

There are hundreds of good to great locally experienced scuba instructors living on Maui, not working as scuba instructors. Many of them are actively looking to work as scuba instructors.

There is really only one employer who could employ an instructor or instructors to work in "Lahaina/Kihei" and they have a March 7th help wanted ad on craigslist. Unemployment on Maui is close to historical highs and the prognosis is to get worse (Japan and jet fuel!!), yet you are in the running for this opportunity???

AFAIU; you must cross over to SSI, EANx is Voodoo gas, all your students are their students (even immediate family) and prior to the economic slowdown they ran an instructor wanted ad in the local newspaper 364 days of the year.

There are good to great instructors and captains working there, a few for many, many years. The low seniority positions turn over like dish dogs at college town fast food joints.

It is possible that a couple, with one captains license, who will work any where, any time, on call, all day, every day, including store sales and of course you do really like Scuba Pro (don't you?) could make a career out of that operation. :idk:

It's a very hard life, and one I wouldn't recommend. The cost of living is very high here...higher than even our home town of NYC, and that's saying something. It's more expenive across the board: rent, groceries, gasoline, everything. To expand:
- Rent is very high, and you don't always get a lot of bang for your buck here on Oahu (situation does look better on the neighbor islands, as even a cursory glance at craigslist will show). One of you has to have a decent job to afford rent and groceries and the like, although you can cut costs by finding room-mates.
- A car is not optional here - it's mandatory, and they're not cheap to run. Gas prices on Maui are even more costly than they are on Oahu (when I filled my tank yesterday, prices were $4.09/gallon). As a professional oil and gas consultant (my fiance is the professional dive instructor, not me), it's my belief that gas prices - and utility costs, which are also very high in HI - will continue increasing for some time.
-Groceries are far more costly relative to the mainland, partly because of shipping costs and partly because of the excise tax (which is applied to EVERYTHING in HI). Staples like bread and milk are unbelievable...a loaf of good, whole-grain bread can set you back $4.60/loaf, and half-a-gallon of milk can cost $6.00. If you like eating free-range and organic as we do, expect your grocery costs to increase further.

One more thing: being a dive instructor here doesn't automatically translate to being eligible for health insurance. There are one or two exceptions, but every instructor I've encountered in HI is an 'independent contractor', and not a dive shop employee. Hence, they even have to pay the cost of their own dive insurance and agency membership. The only way my fiance got health insurance was to work no less than 20-hours/week (in addition to his dive instruction/DM responsibilities) in the dive shop. As a dive shop employee (he was still an independent contractor on the boat), he was eligible for coverage under the dive shop's health insurance plan. Today, none of 'boat staff' at my fiance's shop have coverage unless they're married to someone with a day job that has a good plan. It's just too expensive otherwise.

If moving to HI is something you want to do, I wish you all the best. But it's not an easy road...if I had known how hard it would be, I would have refused to to move. We're moving back home to NYC within a few months, I hope, and I simply can't wait to put this past two years behind us.

Not that I want new competition for the good instructor positions on Maui; but some of vb's post does not apply to this thread, and some of vb's post is just plain wrong.

As long as you schedule your shopping well, Maui has a Costco and two people can do very well with a Costco diet, IMHO; 2 big loaves of good, whole-grain bread are ~$5. Never buy anything at a local grocery store that is not on sale; sure, a gallon of Milk at Napili Market is over $10, but at Foodland, Safeway or Times it is ~$4.50.

When I worked for Deep Ecology, on Oahu's North Shore, I was sometimes part time, sometimes independent contractor and the last year full time lead instructor; that last year I was salary, insured (both dive & health) and the only work I did in the shop was what was necessary to lead trips and instruct. I think most of the long time instructors working more than 20 hours per week for operators on Oahu, including both diving and shop work, could be on health insurance through the dive operator. The spouses insurance may be a better insurance, or the operator keeps employees who have spousal coverage, but if you have more than 20 hours per week, scheduled by the operator, the operator must offer insurance.

On Maui, both boats I have worked for cover dive insurance and put you on health insurance as long as you are scheduled for min 3 trips per week. I know of no dive boats on Maui that considers boat crew to be "contract" - all crew are employees and hours on the boat count towards the 20 hours per week to qualify for health insurance.

Only one shady resort dive operator used the "contractor" scam with me to refuse health insurance; if anyone challenged it in court that is a house of cards. That is also the only one who did not cover dive insurance for "more than 20 hours per week" instructors.

2nd hand info from a dive instructor in Lahaina about a decade ago: The only way she was able to make ends meet was through being a waitress in an upscale restaurant. She split her time 1/3 dive instructor; 1/3 as dive shop clerk, and 1/3 waitress. Well over half her income, including tips, was from the restaurant job. Her instructor cert was Course Director, so she was teaching everything from OW to instructor level courses.

After several years on-island, she bailed out 6 months after 9/11. Not because the dive biz was down, but because the restaurant business was down.

As far as transportation, you would probably do fine with just one car, and there are a lot of clunkers available on Maui for purchase. Gas is a bit over $4/gallon, but you also won't be putting on a lot of miles unless you are commuting from Wailuku to Lahaina.

Food is more expensive than in the South Bay. My wife's crude estimate is 40 or 50% higher overall. Canned and frozen goods at Costco are just slightly above Calfornia prices. Fresh produce is very expensive.

The big expense is rent.

===========================

If you want to get the inside scoop on working for that company, I suggest that you call one of the smaller branches around an hour before closing. I know that at the local shop, at that time of day the one and only clerk will be sitting there, bored out of his/her mind and would more likely than not be eager to answer any question you have. They are probably good sources of info on cost of living.

halemanō;5803362:
Not that I want new competition for the good instructor positions on Maui; but some of vb's post does not apply to this thread, and some of vb's post is just plain wrong.

As long as you schedule your shopping well, Maui has a Costco and two people can do very well with a Costco diet, IMHO; 2 big loaves of good, whole-grain bread are ~$5. Never buy anything at a local grocery store that is not on sale; sure, a gallon of Milk at Napili Market is over $10, but at Foodland, Safeway or Times it is ~$4.50.

When I worked for Deep Ecology, on Oahu's North Shore, I was sometimes part time, sometimes independent contractor and the last year full time lead instructor; that last year I was salary, insured (both dive & health) and the only work I did in the shop was what was necessary to lead trips and instruct. I think most of the long time instructors working more than 20 hours per week for operators on Oahu, including both diving and shop work, could be on health insurance through the dive operator. The spouses insurance may be a better insurance, or the operator keeps employees who have spousal coverage, but if you have more than 20 hours per week, scheduled by the operator, the operator must offer insurance.

On Maui, both boats I have worked for cover dive insurance and put you on health insurance as long as you are scheduled for min 3 trips per week. I know of no dive boats on Maui that considers boat crew to be "contract" - all crew are employees and hours on the boat count towards the 20 hours per week to qualify for health insurance.

Only one shady resort dive operator used the "contractor" scam with me to refuse health insurance; if anyone challenged it in court that is a house of cards. That is also the only one who did not cover dive insurance for "more than 20 hours per week" instructors.

With all due respect, what I wrote is indeed applicable to this thread: the OP wanted to know about the realities and nitty-gritty about working as a dive professional in HI. I shared my experiences. I fail to see how that's not relevant.

I'm sorry to hear that you believe my post is 'plain wrong'. But having chatted to former colleagues of my fiance's who are now at other dive shops - and also having very good knowledge of my fiance's shop - I can only stand by my assertion that most are indeed independent contractors. (As I said in my original post, there are exceptions to the rule - I've heard that some shops on the neighbor islands offer salaried positions to staff. There was also a single former boat employee at my fiance's shop who obtained a salaried position, but he's since left). Today, however, none of the boat staff I know are on a salary: they submit invoices to the dive operator as independent contractors. Since they are not shop employees, they are not eligible for the shop's health insurance. (I personally think that's a crap way of treating one's instructors and dive masters, but obviously, the owner of the dive shop couldn't care two hoots for my opinion, and it's not my place to tell him how to run his business anyhow.) I'm glad to hear things are done differently in Maui. In the spirit of offering sound advice to the OP, perhaps the take-away lesson is this: find a shop where you are treated as an employee, and not an independent contractor.

halemanō;5803517:

Yes, for brands like Organic Valley which support sustainable farming and relatively decent business practices. (We choose to pay more to buy such brands, so I can't bitch about it.) I will certainly grant that other non-organic brands tend to be a bit cheaper, but compared to the continental United States, the price tag will be enough to make you blink once or twice. Thank heaven for savings programs like the Maikai program at Foodland. And we'll need all our savings...the prices of dairy products are influenced by corn prices, which have been on a steady upward trend over the past six months. Yikes.

halemanō;5802988:
There are hundreds of good to great locally experienced scuba instructors living on Maui, not working as scuba instructors. Many of them are actively looking to work as scuba instructors.

There is really only one employer who could employ an instructor or instructors to work in "Lahaina/Kihei" and they have a March 7th help wanted ad on craigslist. Unemployment on Maui is close to historical highs and the prognosis is to get worse (Japan and jet fuel!!), yet you are in the running for this opportunity???

Yes, you are in the running. The writer that I have quoted has very helpful info to share about Maui but it appears some of the info shared here is based on old details. Some of the info he shares has not been the case for several years at that employer. That being said, there is good and bad to every employment opportunity and this one may or may not be for you. I will try to share some more current info for your consideration. I will share that I have worked for the employer.

AFAIU; you must cross over to SSI, EANx is Voodoo gas, all your students are their students (even immediate family) and prior to the economic slowdown they ran an instructor wanted ad in the local newspaper 364 days of the year.

You will be required to crossover to SSI as well as your original training agency (suspecting it is PADI) if you are working as instructional staff. You will be given time, usually up to 6 months or more to complete the cross-over. You will then be able to teach both SSI and PADI courses. This opens more income opportunities here and elsewhere. If you are working on a boat as a guide you will not be required to cross-over.

Ean is not voodoo gas. Ean classes are taught when requested. The company does not fill ean but can acquire the fills as needed. Ean is not heavily used by most of the dive operators here due to the profiles and plans of the group led dives. Plans and profiles are impacted by schedules and skill levels of divers served.

When you want to teach imediate family you merely need to let the employer know so that the teaching will be covered by the professional insurance that you are afforded by the company. You or they would only pay for supplies that they needed if you acquire them from the company. You may not teach non-family as this is competing with your employer.

Oops. The quoted part appears to have dropped out here but it referred to turn-over.

The employer the writer refers to is the largest Dive/Snorkel/watersport company on the island. So, yes, there is turnover especially in the retail portion. There are 8 retail locations. There are also openings regularly for dive professionals as the company employs dive leaders for 3 boats and two beach based SCUBA programs, this involves more than 30-40 dive and snorkel professionals seperately from the retail staff. Employees often have the opportunity as they prefer to move between different boat positions, beach instrructions positions or Captains postions if they are qualified or want to become qualified to do so.

There are good to great instructors and captains working there, a few for many, many years. The low seniority positions turn over like dish dogs at college town fast food joints.

This is correct. There are a number of excellent staff that have been with the company for many, many years. There are a number of couples and other family relationships reperesented among the staff as well.

In retail and especially in a tourism based economy at the entry level sales postions there is a pretty significant amount of turn-over. The company offers some excellent benefits and many of the twenty-somethings that come to the island find the sales positions which offer them the opportunity to dive and participate and all island activities to be pretty attractive. Unfortunately, these same folks are often just stopping by Maui on the way to college or for a temporary adventure. Check with other retailers in town and you will find the same thing.

It is possible that a couple, with one captains license, who will work any where, any time, on call, all day, every day, including store sales and of course you do really like Scuba Pro (don't you?) could make a career out of that operation. :idk:

Neither of you need a Captain's license though it certainly offers additional opportunities. All staff have scheduled days of work and days off. In high season or when staffing shortages occur due to illness, vacation, turnover there may be periods of some overtime shifts required.

Though promoting appropriate equipment purchases to dive customers is considered integral to being an excellent instructor and customer service person for obvious reasons which benefit both the employer and the customer, the instructors do not work as sales people unless they apply and are hired for retail rather than instructing or guiding.

The hardware equipment lines carried include SCUBA Pro, Aqualung, Oceanic, And Atomic. Soft goods include Mares, Cressi, and IST as well. Dive leaders are required to use equipment from the lines carried and there are incentives for using one of the major equipment lines. Use of SCUBA Pro equipment is not required though I can't see where most professionals would consider that a negative.

So, do the research as you have and perhaps Maui will be the right choice for you. It is best if you can commit to at least a year on Maui to really ride the roller coaster that any transplant does as they learn how to live on Maui. Almost always the ups will outweight the downs and folks end up staying on Maui for many wonderful years. Coming as a couple to share expenses makes it very doable but not likely in the manner you may have lived in Cali with twice the income. I have lived on Maui for more than 10 years and also stepped down from a much higher paying position to live the aloha here. For me, it is jsut right and much preferred.

You may consider whether or not you both want to work from the beach or the boats at the same time though. Often when the beach Instructors are busiest the boats may not be and vise versa. Also, when weather cancels the beach dives the boats often still go and vice versa as well. If you work in seperate areas you may be able to avoid income droughts.

Best of luck with your decision. Do plan to have one car but you can pick up a Maui cruiser for $1000.00-3000.00 that may even have four wheel drive for exploring the island.

Oops. The quoted part appears to have dropped out here but it referred to turn-over.

That's just not right! That's one funny line! :popcorn:

halemanō;5802988:
The low seniority positions turn over like dish dogs at college town fast food joints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom