Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You ever tried to charge 10+ k to a card in a single go? It’s a hassle with pretty much everyone except Amex. There is a reason they’re used in business so heavily.
Sorry, I have not found that to be true at all. If you are within your credit limit for the card, you should not have an issue - if you do, then I’d find another card and it does not have to be Amex.

10k is a good start, but look at getting near 20-25k. That way you're way less likely to be anywhere near 30% debt/credit and your credit will improve.
I don't think my bank would give me that kind of credit on my current income.

I also live in a country where credit rating isn't a thing.

Sorry, I have not found that to be true at all.

So your bank does not have a fraud/security department. I am not sure that is a good thing.

So your bank does not have a fraud/security department. I am not sure that is a good thing.
They have algorithms that look at your spending locations and correlate the two. If you buy plane tickets to Mexico it isn't a long walk to see you'll be purchasing things there.

They have algorithms that look at your spending locations and correlate the two. If you buy plane tickets to Mexico it isn't a long walk to see you'll be purchasing things there.

Yeah, you'd think so. IME the algorithms are nowhere near that smart, but it's the people who take the cake.

Ours outsourced their security department to an external subcontractor who have the power to block my card, but have no access to my account details, nor are calling from a number associated with the bank. So when they call it's:
- We see a suspicious transaction on your card.
- What card?
- I can't tell you that.
- What transaction?
- I can't tell you that either.
- And I know you are not a scammer because?

Wrong assumption and you couldn’t be more incorrect! I have Chase, Capital One and Amex Platinum cards and I have NEVER had an issue with large charges. If they think a charge is suspicious, I get a text to confirm that I made the charge. Simple as that.

Wrong assumption and you couldn’t be more incorrect! I have Chase, Capital One and Amex Platinum cards and I have NEVER had an issue with large charges. If they think a charge is suspicious, I get a text to confirm that I made the charge. Simple as that.

It's not large charges they flag.

Yeah, you'd think so. IME the algorithms are nowhere near that smart, but it's the people who take the cake.

Ours outsourced their security department to an external subcontractor who have the power to block my card, but have no access to my account details, nor are calling from a number associated with the bank. So when they call it's:
- We see a suspicious transaction on your card.
- What card?
- I can't tell you that.
- What transaction?
- I can't tell you that either.
- And I know you are not a scammer because?
Sounds like you should look for a new card - mine contact via text and email about any suspicious charges and provide specific info on the charge amount/vendor and asks you to confirm that you made the charge. You can also call the 800 # and discuss directly with live support.

It's not large charges they flag.
I’ve not had issues with any charges, large or small. I’ve had cards replaced a few times as they contacted me about suspicious charges that were not large at all. I’m not sure what your point is?

I’ve not had issues with any charges, large or small. I’ve had cards replaced a few times as they contacted me about suspicious charges that were not large at all. I’m not sure what your point is?

reading comprehension

Because they were trying to run $10k+ transactions in a foreign country

Those are the kinds of charges that the algorithm is happy with. You start charging weird stuff in weird places and I've struggled with cards before..

Back
Top Bottom