Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps. Or perhaps might have something to do with the fact that Youtube channels are run on advertising income. Guess we might never know.

Wonder when we will see a first "Amex refused my scuba claim but Woody told me so" post.
It okayed and an extension of credit. I don't think he was asking them for an evacuation coverage. Everyone advertises on YouTube. If you want to know if Amex is a sponsor or he is monetizing Amex, why don't you simply ask?

I believe in one of his earlier videos he said he is not paid by Amex, but that may have changed. If I was in his situation and had charges being rejected by credit card companies, I would damn well give credit to the one that didn't reject it.

Sounds like learning effect to me, so great..

Well also riding sports bikes one can execute rather risky or more reasonable.. So it all depends..
I have been riding sports bikes longer than I have been driving cars and I am still around to tell the story :wink:
As the saying goes there is old cave divers and there is pushy cave divers, there are no old and pushy cave divers.. Similar concept applies to riding bikes :D and pretty much a lot of other areas of life.

From some of the stories I've heard, the risk taking behaviors from nearly everyone in public safety or emergency medicine (I know a ton of cops, firefighters, EMTs, nurses, etc. - practically my entire friend circle is made up of these people and I have been one of them before, as well) aren't limited to anything in particular. Whether it was a lazy approach to diving or hitting DEEP triple-digit speeds on a bike... the assessment analysis behavior seems off with a lot of us. I used to think it was the best thing that could happen on a 12 hour shift if I got to go to shots fired calls (even though I'd been shot before myself), while all the normies in my family/friends group thought I was nuts. Then someone would ask me to do a cave dive beyond my level of training, and I'd think they were completely out of their mind while vehemently refusing to do it... doesn't really make sense. LOL

they okayed emergency medical expenses when other cards said "No"?
It okayed and an extension of credit. I don't think he was asking them for an evacuation coverage. Everyone advertises on YouTube. If you want to know if Amex is a sponsor or he is monetizing Amex, why don't you simply ask?

I believe in one of his earlier videos he said he is not paid by Amex, but that may have changed. If I was in his situation and had charges being rejected by credit card companies, I would damn well give credit to the one that didn't reject it.

They did right by him in his time of need, no one can deny that. I'd say his affiliate link being attached to a popular YouTube channel in a video filled with drama is definitely earning him rewards from their viewers using said link to sign up for Amex, though.

This all makes me wonder if DAN insurance is even worth having, TBH. I guess it is, because Woody got reimbursed for his expenses in the end (but would DAN do that for a regular Joe Shmo?)... but honestly the #1 thing I've learned from this incident so far is that I need an Amex. Honestly Amex should sponsor Dive Talk at this point. I'm sure I'm not the only one who signed up after watching their video...
I think you were missing the point.. "An Amex" is not the solution. The Platinum Annex might be, but it is not any "easy card" to qualify for. It comes with a quite high limit, so the take away should rather be to have a (or more) credit cards that have sufficient cover for potential emergencies particularily when diving in remote locations with difficult access to chambers. If you have sufficient limit you should not encouter issues with other card companies than Amex either.
The other take away know your insurance and maybe get transport insurance (by means of separate contract or by means of part of a premium credit card - again not something that would be unique to Amex)

Are we back to people suggesting this entire incident is, including the attacks on DAN, are a 5D Chess move for DT to push Amex and get kickbacks?

they okayed emergency medical expenses when other cards said "No"?
but why did the other cards say know? This is one of the points I had mentioned abvout the lack of transparency, if outside of the limit or respective insuyrances of course they say no and of course they will not waive the limit upon a simple phone call of someone claiming to have an ermegency.. If they did fraud would be significantly on the rise.
And also no transparency as to why Amex said yes.. If they said yes because it was all well within the credit limit (what is the great big thing they did then?) or if it was within the coverage of the potentially included insurance..
And hence my remark to the planning portion. A dilligent diver would know what their card cover and what not and not be surprised whil in an emergency..

I can't be bothered to watch the video, and if he paid out of pocket, great. I don't really care... Just pointing out that you platinum card isn't cave diving or deep diving insurance. YMMV.
And yet they covered the expenses (at least initially) if they did because of the insurance portion they might yet "reclaim" but again it might all just have been all within the cards credit limit and then there is no "great treatment" whatsoever

but why did the other cards say know? This is one of the points I had mentioned abvout the lack of transparency, if outside of the limit or respective insuyrances of course they say no and of course they will not waive the limit upon a simple phone call of someone claiming to have an ermegency.. If they did fraud would be significantly on the rise.
And also no transparency as to why Amex said yes.. If they said yes because it was all well within the credit limit (what is the great big thing they did then?) or if it was within the coverage of the potentially included insurance..
And hence my remark to the planning portion. A dilligent diver would know what their card cover and what not and not be surprised whil in an emergency..
You ever tried to charge 10+ k to a card in a single go? It’s a hassle with pretty much everyone except Amex. There is a reason they’re used in business so heavily.

Are we back to people suggesting this entire incident is, including the attacks on DAN, are a 5D Chess move for DT to push Amex and get kickbacks?
wouldn't be quite 5D chess, but 2.5D at max, but surely not.
Of course this has not been "planned"
That is exactly the issue looks like nothing other than getting to the dive sites and maybe thinking about how to get the best shots (note the camera guy already had passed the restriction and there is still pristine vis - so telling me he passed without issue) and where to get the best steak, nothing elses seemed to have been planned at the incident trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom