Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You ever tried to charge 10+ k to a card in a single go? It’s a hassle with pretty much everyone except Amex. There is a reason they’re used in business so heavily.
Yes, on my Costco Citi card. If your limit isn't in question then it's not a problem. 8 plane tickets to Hawaii, 4 of them 1st class. That was right around 10k.

You ever tried to charge 10+ k to a card in a single go? It’s a hassle with pretty much everyone except Amex. There is a reason they’re used in business so heavily.
Got various BOA cards as business credit cards with no issue whatsoever so far. If a card would eny a transaction that is within the limit and I had issues with it they would be facing a nice lawsuit for not performing their obligation.
It is all about the limit..

but why did the other cards say know?

I will suppose that this is why did the other cards say no.
From what I remember, the other cards approved but, for some reason, the other cards didn't go thru.

I can't be bothered to watch the video, and if he paid out of pocket, great. I don't really care... Just pointing out that you platinum card isn't cave diving or deep diving insurance. YMMV.
Yeah you probably should have watched the video? He didn't use Amex's evacuation insurance. He just needed them to approve two large charges for the air ambulance and the private hospital admission. They did it without hesitation when his other cards said no (or technically told him "yes" but then the charges were denied anyway).

It sure seems like the winning recipe here was a combination of having the ability to pay for large expenses out of pocket up front (Amex), dive insurance to eventually reimburse you for those costs (DAN), and a giant youtube following to hold that dive insurance company accountable. That's why I picked one up, not because of their evacuation insurance. That didn't even get discussed at all.

Yes, on my Costco Citi card. If your limit isn't in question then it's not a problem. 8 plane tickets to Hawaii, 4 of them 1st class. That was right around 10k.

Got various BOA cards as business credit cards with no issue whatsoever so far. If a card would eny a transaction that is within the limit and I had issues with it they would be facing a nice lawsuit for not performing their obligation.
It is all about the limit..

Those are the kinds of charges that the algorithm is happy with. You start charging weird stuff in weird places and I've struggled with cards before. It's not that amex is a panacea because frankly a lot of places just don't take it, but ringing 40-50k on an amex is not a big deal and most other cards don't have that kind of transaciton limit, or the automated fraud stuff blocks it even when it should work.

Because they were trying to run $10k+ transactions in a foreign country
But in the video he mentioned that he was on the phone to his bank(s) and they APPROVED whatever charge was coming through and it still wouldn't go through. I'm not invested in this whole saga but I would like to know why the other cards couldn't process the charges.

The other advantage of Amex is that they are international and will have a helpline 24/7/365. I actually don't know if I could call my bank from halfway around the world at 3am and someone would OK a charge. Actually with the ******* two factor authentication systems my bank uses I'd probably have to swap sim cards to get the ******* code texted to me.

Either way I upped my CC limit to 10k, which I urge everyone to have, just in case.

But in the video he mentioned that he was on the phone to his bank(s) and they APPROVED whatever charge was coming through and it still wouldn't go through. I'm not invested in this whole saga but I would like to know why the other cards couldn't process the charges.

The other advantage of Amex is that they are international and will have a helpline 24/7/365. I actually don't know if I could call my bank from halfway around the world at 3am and someone would OK a charge. Actually with the ******* two factor authentication systems my bank uses I'd probably have to swap sim cards to get the ******* code texted to me.

Either way I upped my CC limit to 10k, which I urge everyone to have, just in case.
There is a difference between getting approval for a charge and overriding the system to actually make it. I don’t know what went or anything beyond what was in the video, but the guy who verbally okays your 10k charges has to make it happen. Amex did.
but why did the other cards say know? This is one of the points I had mentioned abvout the lack of transparency, if outside of the limit or respective insuyrances of course they say no and of course they will not waive the limit upon a simple phone call of someone claiming to have an ermegency.. If they did fraud would be significantly on the rise.
And also no transparency as to why Amex said yes.. If they said yes because it was all well within the credit limit (what is the great big thing they did then?) or if it was within the coverage of the potentially included insurance..
And hence my remark to the planning portion. A dilligent diver would know what their card cover and what not and not be surprised whil in an emergency..
Are you miffed because Woody isn’t being transparent about his credit history? That isn’t anyone’s business any has nothing to do with the emergency.

No matter how open DT is about this accident, there are going to be critics that complain they don’t have enough details or the details need to be filled in by reading between the lines. It’s not a trial and they don’t need to be convicted of anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom