Wooden goggles for diving down deeper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will make another 20m dive with the goggles (the epoxy ones) and face the camera with a closeup to see if there is any deformation of eyeball/flesh/... .
Will keep you updated.

In nearly 50 years of diving to depths of up to 200 ft, I don't remember a case of mask squeeze. No, I'm not wearing wooden masks.

I have heard stories that some individual’s ducts that connect between eye socket and sinuses can flow enough air to equalize small spaces. It would be interesting to see if it is true.

Beat me to that... then again I can only do that for one eye....

All I can think is that if the wooden googles are rigid and press into your face only enough that the goggles bottom out on the hard bones of your skull then it might work. The fatter the face the more the goggles would squish in before they would bottom out on bone causing more squeeze.
If the people wearing these have skinny boney faces and the goggles are carved exactly to fit every curve and shape around their eyes including the upper boney ridge of their nose and manage to have the wood contact hard bone all the way around then I suppose it'd work.

All I can think is that if the wooden googles are rigid and press into your face only enough that the goggles bottom out on the hard bones of your skull then it might work. The fatter the face the more the goggles would squish in before they would bottom out on bone causing more squeeze.
If the people wearing these have skinny boney faces and the goggles are carved exactly to fit every curve and shape around their eyes including the upper boney ridge of their nose and manage to have the wood contact hard bone all the way around then I suppose it'd work.

I like that theory.
Thx for the good idea.
The guy in the video is very skinny.
And also i am more skinny.
Will try to get somebody with a more fatter face for the next test.

Wolfgang

Do you use a mask (with nose inside) or goggles?

I use a Cressi Big Eyes exclusively. Own three of them. Upon reflection, I do remember one case of mask squeeze, but it was with a borrowed mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom