Women's Diving Seminar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What’s the big deal? It sounds like a great opportunity for women divers in the area to meet each other in a social setting and exchange experiences and ideas, which may be of equal or greater value than the agenda itself. Not everyone has a collection of friends who dive, or a forum other than continuing education, for getting their questions addressed. Consider it the establishment of a network, wherein women in the same area meet each other, and possibly establish connections for future activities or exchange of ideas (Men already have this – it’s called a dive shop). If there wasn’t a need for this, I doubt anyone would devote a six hour day to it.

If it were promoted as the DPDC’s Women’s Dive Club seminar, would anyone be questioning whom it was open to or why (even if there were no such club)? It’s meant to be inclusive – i.e. allowing women who often don’t know or see others of their ilk feel that they are part of the collective diving world. I can’t imagine how this would be perceived as condescending(?) – I see it as outreach.

Let’s face it, it’s a male dominated sport, and women who don’t know other female divers or who aren’t rogue adventurers are often diving with husbands or boyfriends (I’m not sure if these are the overbearing dive buddies alluded to, but if the fin fits…). This can be very limiting, particularly if the two aren’t equal in terms of confidence, knowledge, or experience. While I’m generalizing, men are more likely to have confidence (or lack of apprehension) beyond their knowledge and experience, while women work in reverse. Patience can also a big issue, particularly if the man assumes the role of authority (i.e. has completed AOW/12 dives).

Even if you’re a female diver with no sex-specific issues, who has never felt intimidated in an all-male arena, it’s nice to have another female to relate to. For years, I dove primarily with men, and have no female friends in the area who are divers. While I know plenty of male divers, there are none that I would call to discuss trip preparation, health issues, equipment issues, or personal info/chitchat to the extent that I would with a women. It’s also hard to arrange a diving date without it being misinterpreted by the individual or their wife/girlfriend. If this seminar were available in my area, I’d take advantage on the off chance I’d meet a potential female buddy. The odds would certainly be greater than at a general forum.

It would be nice if someone’s well intentioned effort could be interpreted for what it is rather than for what it isn’t. It’s addressing the needs of specific audience in response to their expression of those needs. If it doesn’t apply to you, why criticize it or speak on behalf of those who don’t even know it exists (I’m still waiting for the posts from men with overbearing dive buddies who are bugged that they can’t attend the women’s seminar)? If you’re a man genuinely interested in women’s diving issues, rather than feeling excluded, you might offer the results of your extensive research in exchange for seminar revelations that have heretofore gone unreported. If you feel you’re missing out on things uniquely female, here are a few routine questions that don’t get asked in front of men – will my breast implants be affected by pressure (explode)? Can I dive while menstruating, and is it true that the scent will attract sharks? However, these tend to be asked early in a diver’s training, and it’s doubtful that there will be anything “juicy” that you wouldn’t otherwise be privy to.

If there’s anything groundbreaking that came up at the seminar, we can politely request that it be posted here. Since I’m in the Midwest, and was unable to attend, I am also requesting that I be sent the free lunch :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom