Women's BC - easy air dumping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jskeyes2

Reaction score
My wife and I are fairly new to diving - we don't currently own our own BCs but are thinking of getting some.

She has had a problem in the past of getting the "correct" position to dump air. I know that there are certain BCs out there that specifically address this issue.

Can anyone suggest a good brand / model BC that dumps air easily for a small woman (5'2" 115lb)? Its for cold water (Seattle) and we don't need bells and whistles.

Thanks

I'm about the same size - just 2 inches taller. I have a SeaQuest Diva in a size Extra Small. I have used it for two years and have never had a problem dumping air in any position.

I'm sure you'll get a good response to this post with some excellent suggestions. Best suggestion...try some different models but the key is making sure she has one that fits well in any make or style. That fit is hard to get for someone our size from rental gear. She'll be delighted to have her own BC ... I was. What a difference to have a BC that hugged me instead of floating around me and feeling like everything was out of place - which it was!

Good luck and happy diving to the both of you.

She has had a problem in the past of getting the "correct" position to dump air. I know that there are certain BCs out there that specifically address this issue.

jskeyes2,

BCs all dump in pretty much the same way. Usually the problem people have in using the main dump is position: you have to make sure you hold the hose straight UP, HIGH, OVER your head when you dump air. IOW, it needs to be at the HIGHEST point over your body to properly vent.

Also, you should position yourself as vertically as possible in the water so that it vents cleanly & easily.

If that doesn't work, while the hose is in the up position, simply give a firm tug on it. They are all made with something akin to a "ripcord" inside them that will open the valve & vent the BCD.

Other valves: most BCs come with several other valves on them. I know mine has at least two others in addition to the main hose. The key to using these is PRACTICE. You should learn where they are and be able to pull the cord on any of them without fumbling around to find them.

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

Let me stress here that I have no personal experience in wearing one of these puppies :wink: but my wife has dived in one for over two years or so (in the UK in a dry-bag and abroad in t-shirt and leggings) and swears by it.

Specifically designed for women, the Uber-comfy (she tells me) latex rubber front 'boulder-holders' make all the difference. And they are simple to dump air from as they have both a shoulder and a rear dump valve with pull-cords in front-reach postions. So you can dump from either the prone or the vertical positions as suits your diving.

Hope this helps and dive safe. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom