women gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a small face and use a Mares X-Vision.I like it.

Jen

in fact it's considered a pocket mask.....the original version fits my wide face pretty well, but i notice there are two other versions now: mini shadow and micro shadow. unfortuntely oceanic is difficult, if not impossible to find online.

hth!

Nothing seems to ruin a dive experience more or faster than a leaky or uncomfortable mask.
For a small face, SeaVision has a new model called "Shadow", which is very low profile and easy to reach your nose in to clear. While it may sound silly, some of us with small noses have great difficulty with a lot of masks with being able to get a "good pinch", so to speak.
The other thing I found with masks, and again it seems like it shouldn't be a factor, is the strap....Most makes would have us believe they go to lotsa effort to get the perfect strap, but, ..... my old tri-vision drove me nuts and I hated it, till i put a generic slap-strap on it. Turned hate into love in an instant.
I guess it depends on how often one dives as to how much aggavation they'll endure each time, but I like to strive for zero stress on every dive.

Darlene

different configuartions...

I am small and I dive a ScubaPro Fino mask. It works great for me but, I have found that it isn't just the mask that caused leakage problems. I found that the regulator and mouthpiece also effected the fit and caused leaks.

I have found that the smaller the reg the better and I definately prefer a micro mouthpiece. When your mouth is held open more widely than if it is closed (like when you try the mask on for fit) the shape of your face changes and the fit of the mask too. I prefer the ScubaPro (my choice is a S550 and R380) reg performance but another reg I tried was the Aqualung Micro (and US Divers Micro). They are smaller and work relatively decent in performance. IMO. You must remember that there is a combination of things that work together to give you the best possible dive.

It might sound crazy but I have tried many different things. You can't tork down the mask straps because you get a whole other set of problems.

Try changing the regulators and mouthpieces you use to see if you personally get a difference. R

That is an excellent point, that I had never considered. The fit of the mask being effected by how your reg fits in your mouth.
That's why I love this board, always something new to be learned!

I also use a ScubaPro Fino mask and am happy with it. I had a Mares Lirica before (it broke), but like the Fino better. I use a ScubaPro MK25/S550 reg and the reg and mask seem to work for me. That is an interesting point RavenC.

Juls

Excellent point about the reg changing your face shape a bit!

The real problem here is not that the mask leaks, but that the mouthpiece needs to be addressed. If it changes the facial shape that much, (so as to cause leakage), it's likely to become uncomfortable during the dive as well. Look at some of the aftermarket sources for small, or perhaps, kids size mouthpieces. Jaw fatigue can really make the dive seem too longgggg. I use a Sea-Cure on all my regs, dozed off on deco a couple times and never lost it.
Anyway, make the effort to get your gear issues worked thru, they really can take the fun out of a dive.

Darlene

RavenC does make a great point..
In fact, everyone has been giving great advice. It's been a great eye opener. I love this forum.

As I said earlier, I'm just a beginner so I have not bought my own reg yet. I'm definetly going to watch out for the mask/reg fit. It makes a lot of sense. Scuba_Vixen- the jaw fatigue happens to me all the time. I use to think that it was because the reg was too big but the instructor told me that it was probably me clenching it too tightly. After a while it becomes very uncomfortable and even a little painful. Now I know to buy my own reg asap. Thanks. I'm heading to several scuba shops tomorrow and Sat - hopefully I'll be able to find some of the gear you guys have recommended. I'll let you know how it goes.

I bought the smaller reg in my LDS because I have a small face and very small mouth (with big teeth). I used to constantly clamp down on my mouthpiece and was was so sore the day after it hurt to chew my food. I actually had to keep one hand on my reg at all times to keep it in my mouth. I only dove a couple of times like this and the thought crossed my mine that not having complete use of both hands may be unsafe. I switched to the only smaller mouthpiece the LDS had and I have not had any more problems.

My problem with masks is the mask barely clears my hairline at my temples. I have a small/narrow face and it takes lots of time fiddling with the mask both out and in the water to get it even close. I will be looking for a new mask shortly. Good luck.
:martian:

RavenC's post got me thinking when I wear a hood that has bearing on how well my mask fits too.

Jen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom