Women and Reef Hooks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really enjoy current-rich dives. Rarely hook in, mostly holding on to a rocky dead coral with two fingers. Or I might just place my metal pointer in a rocky hole and gentley hold on. I cannot get my head around themdive site - why would amdive guide would pick such a dive site.. Just saying...

Doesn't that look awful?! I would be so focused on not trying to puke or get blown away or off the reef to enjoy whatever it is that I'm supposed to be looking for!

We will be in Yap and Palau. There are a few dives there that do require use of a reef hook. I do understand theoretically how it would work. This is the kind of dive I would go over in my head a number of times, watch videos, and watch out for Murphy. I would want a plan. What if I can't hook? (make a safe ascent, signal and wait for pickup) What if I can't unhook? (unhook from BC/cut the rope, safe ascent, etc.). I assume that if I am negative where current is less that I could pull myself along the rope to the hook. I've had a few Cozumel dives where the current was so bad that only a few of the divers could pull themselves in on the tag line. I would like a chance to practice in a safe environment first.

So, do they hook in and wait for some pelagic to swim by? This assumes you can take your focus from being swept away long enough to look around. Think I'll pass.

I usually prefer hanging onto the hook/line instead of attaching it to me. I feel like I have more control and easier to unhook. (Going to depend on the situation, and of course a less useful option for photographers.) This is much easier if you have a loop tied into the line to hang onto. Even better to slip a piece of tubing on the line that gets tied into the loop, makes a more comfy handle.

Last edited:
We will be in Yap and Palau. There are a few dives there that do require use of a reef hook. I do understand theoretically how it would work. This is the kind of dive I would go over in my head a number of times, watch videos, and watch out for Murphy. I would want a plan. What if I can't hook? (make a safe ascent, signal and wait for pickup) What if I can't unhook? (unhook from BC/cut the rope, safe ascent, etc.). I assume that if I am negative where current is less that I could pull myself along the rope to the hook. I've had a few Cozumel dives where the current was so bad that only a few of the divers could pull themselves in on the tag line. I would like a chance to practice in a safe environment first.

Donna, with your experience, I doubt that you will have an issue. Speak with your guide and more importantly watch him/her. My hook-in technique is similar to Damselfish. I never us a jock attached to a cord or webbing. I might use my small metal much stick and gentley place it into a hole on a rock or coral, or hold on to a rocky nubbin with two fingers, or rarely use my muck stick that has a small hook on the end of it. I find that I have more control, I can stay neutral and not have to inflate/deflate my BCD needlessly, this way I have more balanced in current. One suggestion, related to task loading in currents, is after hooking in or just holding on, make sure that your breathing remains the same and enjoy the show.

I'm certainly with @charlier when it comes to current.

Although I carry a hook, my first go to is the metal pointer stick. It easily and quickly gains a purchase in a small hole, and you'd be surprised on how little effort you need to stay in one place (two fingers on the stick) and you're in a more controlled position being closer to the bottom with generally less current

If I want to "fly" then I'll use the hook. But I'll get myself sorted with the pointer first so I'm stable and able to find a suitable strong hold for the hook. This is half the problem. Rocks and dead reef can be very porous and seem fine until you put your full load on the hook then it can come away, generally when you're at full line extent, meaning you need to fin down and start over.

In the video it was mainly surge causing the issues. The ease the guide was moving around and the direction of the bubbles. One issue was that some of the divers were concentrating on their camera than getting stable

Here on our sites that have current, your bubbles go horizontal, your regs vibrate and mask can leak, but if you can get your line out and "fly" then we are treated to large shoals of large hunting fish (queen, and king fish, giant barracuda etc) swimming all around which makes it worthwhile.

Generally my full line is only 5' (1.5m) its enough - and always have cutting gear in case you have a problem and can't free the hook

If you decide to hook in, don't set hook and then release your full weight all at once onto the hook. Gradually feed out the line to avoid a hard yank that may dislodge it. Also, very high current, cover your reg face with free hand if starts to freeflow.

Order a Wichard stainless fixed snap shackle for the diver end of your reef hook. It'll cost you a few bucks but if you hook in and really can't get back down to unhook, you can pop the snap shackle and get free. You'll be polluting the reef for a bit, but I'm sure some other enterprising diver will find it and appreciate the nice hardware you've left behind.

Leaving behind some unobtrusive hardware that won't really be a hazard to the reef is preferable than having an accident.

Back
Top Bottom