Women and Reef Hooks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Donnah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will be going to Yap and Palau in November. I've been reading about how to use a reef hook, but all the posts have been written by men. I am 73, work out on a regular basis, but I know I do not have the upper body strength of most men. I'd like to hear from women who have used a reef hook. Is it really that difficult/dangerous?

Hooking in is not a problem. It's unhooking that might be what you are referring to. Dump your air so you are slightly negatively buoyant before you drag yourself back to the hook to release yourself. It helps a bit since the current is usually not as strong towards the bottom or down closer to the reef

Before hooking in, I ensure that I'm neutral or even slightly negative so I can get settled and find a good place to hook in. After hooking in, I make myself neutral and let myself go until the line is taut. At that point, I either maintain neutral (depends on the current) or just slightly positively buoyant. Right before unhooking, I make myself neutral or slightly negative again so I can "crawl/drag" myself with the hook back to where I hooked in to un-hook.

I hope that makes sense!

I’d love to see a video of hooking in and unhooking.

I’d love to see a video of hooking in and unhooking.

Me too. I can’t visualize how this works.

So we’ve all been taught to stay off the reef. Hooking in is obviously contrary to this. So it’s ok to hook into “reefs” in certain areas? Are these reefs dead or barren, therefore it’s ok?

Found this on YouTube:

Last edited:

So we’ve all been taught to stay off the reef. Hooking in is obviously contrary to this. So it’s ok to hook into “reefs” in certain areas? Are these reefs dead or barren, therefore it’s ok?

You're not supposed to hook into living reef. Dead or the rocky areas only. There are local rules about what is acceptable and what is not. It is dependent on where you are going. In Palau, Blue Corner is a famous dive site and reef hooking is widely practiced there from what others have shared with me. In Raja Ampat, we all carried a reef hook.

That's the thinking, yes. Dead or fossilized/ancient coral. Also, in some places where reef hooks are used, you hook onto plain old rock.

Around Cocos Island the bottom is more fractured rock than coral, so finding a place to hold on to or hook in is easy. The trick is to avoid bumping into a sea urchin in the process. I've never seen so many as I did there.

Last edited:
Call me a baby, but this doesn't look fun to me! I can't imagine how it must have felt to be pulled over the edge of the wall by that current. Kudos to you folks who want to do this - I think the biggest current I'll fight with will be in Cozumel. I hope you get some great pictures from working that hard!!! :wink:

Call me a baby, but this doesn't look fun to me! I can't imagine how it must have felt to be pulled over the edge of the wall by that current. Kudos to you folks who want to do this - I think the biggest current I'll fight with will be in Cozumel. I hope you get some great pictures from working that hard!!! :wink:

Not only is there current in that video, there's also surge. The times where I have used the hook it was just straight current in one direction, consistent and continuous...I would have been sliiiiightly barfy based on the video and agree with you!

Found this on YouTube:

I really enjoy current-rich dives. Rarely hook in, mostly holding on to a rocky dead coral with two fingers. Or I might just place my metal pointer in a rocky hole and gentley hold on. I cannot get my head around themdive site - why would amdive guide would pick such a dive site.. Just saying...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom