Women and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starfish365:
ok I hate to ask but what birth defects could be caused by diving and exactly what proof is there....how can they figure that one if there isn't any proof.

i think this goes into the "if you don't know for sure, err on the side of caution" category, same as children and diving issues

starfish365:
ok I hate to ask but what birth defects could be caused by diving and exactly what proof is there....how can they figure that one if there isn't any proof.

The latest study does show proof of birth defects. Dr. Eric Kindwall spoke about it during a recent 6 day hyperbaric course. I sadly don't remember the reference. I'd have to look back at my notes but I think over 700 pregnant women were involved in the study. Dr. Kindwall said it was an excellent and conclusive study - and for him to say that, then it definitely was because he is highly critical. Dr. Kindwall is one of the leading authorities world wide on hyperbaric medicine.

A good paper by Dr. Maida Bet Taylor in the form of a literature review can be found in Diving Medicien, Bove & Davis, W.B. Saunders Co. pub. Lots of good references in that. I have an old edition of the book so I don't know what the current edition's year is. Dr. Susan Bangasser is another excellent researcher on this topic. Do a search on her as well.

I hope that helps.

safe diving always,
Andrea

starfish365:

Well as far as I know there is no proof as of yet and to be honest with you there probley wont be any proof at lest for a long time. I say this because there are not many woman that are will to get pregnant and then go diving to see if a birth defect happens, and even if you find such a woman to do it you must find more a lot more that are willing to do the same. Like H2Andy said its like the kids diving if there is a risk better to be safe then sorry.

Andrea Zaferes:
The latest study does show proof of birth defects. Dr. Eric Kindwall spoke about it during a recent 6 day hyperbaric course. I sadly don't remember the reference. I'd have to look back at my notes but I think over 700 pregnant women were involved in the study. Dr. Kindwall said it was an excellent and conclusive study - and for him to say that, then it definitely was because he is highly critical. Dr. Kindwall is one of the leading authorities world wide on hyperbaric medicine.

A good paper by Dr. Maida Bet Taylor in the form of a literature review can be found in Diving Medicien, Bove & Davis, W.B. Saunders Co. pub. Lots of good references in that. I have an old edition of the book so I don't know what the current edition's year is. Dr. Susan Bangasser is another excellent researcher on this topic. Do a search on her as well.

I hope that helps.

safe diving always,
Andrea

Wow I am very shocked that they found so many women that where willing to do that.

chickdiver:
Well written article, which brings up a number of questions and issues. As a female technical diver and technical instructor, I've encountered a number of these issues myself. Are there any organizations you are aware of proactively dealing with women's issues in diving?

Great question. I love it when I can answer a question and have to go, Hmmmmm. The Women Dving Hall of Fame is a good place to start. They have a website and free email newsletter. www.wdhof.org Send a question about diving and pregnancy to the newsletter and see what the medical doctors can come up with. Then if you can post that here, that would be great for others to read.

On the topic of women and diving. If there are, and I'm sure there are, women instructors out there, I have a suggestion. Go out to the schools in your area and make presentations on diving physics to physics classes, diving phyiology to bio classes, etc. Girls need more postive role models today. They get far to many role models of women whose main value is their sex appeal. Look at any TV program or magazine advertisement. Men have only their hands and head exposed, while women have more skin showing than covered.

How many of you remember Majorie Banks, who passed away a few years ago. She was a brilliant underwater photographer who started a campaign called "no bimbo divers" with buttons and petitions to stop diving manufacturers and retailers from using women's bodies to sell products. I have no problems with women in bikini's in ads - as long as there are equally unclad men.

The no bimbo campaign really had an effect and all women should be grateful for that. I think times are changing and we are seeing more sexist advertising. It is up to this generation of women to take up the cause. If you show a thong on a woman, then show a thong on a man or don't show a thong at all. Stop promoting women's value as their body, and men's value as being insturctors, diving experts etc.

It still amazes me how often I am the only women speaker on a conference for subjects other than travel. That is ridiculous. This is 2004. I was recently told that the percentage of women navy divers has dropped from 1.5% 5o 1 percent. In my field of public safety diving the numbers are similar. One percent! How scary is that?! We need to make a change.

So women, go out there and do presentations on diving in schools to show girlst what women can do and what opportunities there are in the diving community for them. And of course don't forget to throw in conservation and respect for aquatic life and environments messages as well.

If you are an underwater photographer or know enough about acquatic critters then go out and spread the knowledge and be a role model.

If you have a dive store, host a field trip. But don't get me started on the topic of teaching children how to dive because that is not a good thing.
Make a difference.
Cheers,
Andrea

Andrea Zaferes:
Great question. I love it when I can answer a question and have to go, Hmmmmm. The Women Dving Hall of Fame is a good place to start. They have a website and free email newsletter. www.wdhof.org Send a question about diving and pregnancy to the newsletter and see what the medical doctors can come up with. Then if you can post that here, that would be great for others to read.

On the topic of women and diving. If there are, and I'm sure there are, women instructors out there, I have a suggestion. Go out to the schools in your area and make presentations on diving physics to physics classes, diving phyiology to bio classes, etc. Girls need more postive role models today. They get far to many role models of women whose main value is their sex appeal. Look at any TV program or magazine advertisement. Men have only their hands and head exposed, while women have more skin showing than covered.

How many of you remember Majorie Banks, who passed away a few years ago. She was a brilliant underwater photographer who started a campaign called "no bimbo divers" with buttons and petitions to stop diving manufacturers and retailers from using women's bodies to sell products. I have no problems with women in bikini's in ads - as long as there are equally unclad men.

The no bimbo campaign really had an effect and all women should be grateful for that. I think times are changing and we are seeing more sexist advertising. It is up to this generation of women to take up the cause. If you show a thong on a woman, then show a thong on a man or don't show a thong at all. Stop promoting women's value as their body, and men's value as being insturctors, diving experts etc.

It still amazes me how often I am the only women speaker on a conference for subjects other than travel. That is ridiculous. This is 2004. I was recently told that the percentage of women navy divers has dropped from 1.5% 5o 1 percent. In my field of public safety diving the numbers are similar. One percent! How scary is that?! We need to make a change.

So women, go out there and do presentations on diving in schools to show girlst what women can do and what opportunities there are in the diving community for them. And of course don't forget to throw in conservation and respect for aquatic life and environments messages as well.

If you are an underwater photographer or know enough about acquatic critters then go out and spread the knowledge and be a role model.

If you have a dive store, host a field trip. But don't get me started on the topic of teaching children how to dive because that is not a good thing.
Make a difference.
Cheers,
Andrea

Ok just to start of I am all for woman’s rights and all that but I do have some points I would like to bring up on what you wrote. The first one being about the if women shows a thong then so should a man. Just how many men where tongs or are in the mark to buy one. And as for the sex appeal one I mean you have to look at it from a business stand point. Sexs sales bottom line and as long as people like sex it will keep saleing. But I do agree with everything else you said and great post.

Frank...man I have a feeling you're going to lose this one! If my wife says that we don't like the pictures...then by golly we don't like em and she isn't as tough as chickdiver. LOL

The silliest thing about the adds from equipment manufacturers is all the dangling equipment and the rotten form shown by the divers. If they used pictures that suggested that they might have a clue I'd put up with any models they wanted to use.

I guess they know more about displaying models than equipment. Makes you wonder what they're selling and to whom they think they're selling it?

On the other hand maybe they know what they're doing.

"Women's rights?"

Do we still use that term? :laugh:

Mike! What a compliment!! :)

I think both areas need to be addressed- for goodness sake, let's show GOOD divers actually DIVING for a change!

yes. both areas need to be addressed.

the problem is that most men (ok, many men) simply can not understand what the issue of having half-naked women posing in ads is all about for women divers.

honestly, guys, it's a big deal. educate yourself about these issues.

Back
Top Bottom