Women and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Frank...man I have a feeling you're going to lose this one! If my wife says that we don't like the pictures...then by golly we don't like em and she isn't as tough as chickdiver. LOL

The silliest thing about the adds from equipment manufacturers is all the dangling equipment and the rotten form shown by the divers. If they used pictures that suggested that they might have a clue I'd put up with any models they wanted to use.

I guess they know more about displaying models than equipment. Makes you wonder what they're selling and to whom they think they're selling it?

On the other hand maybe they know what they're doing.

Lol your probley right and you know what its cool if I lose I mean I not trying to compete with her or anything I was just putting out what I thought you know.

Andrea,
Something else you mentioned in your article that I'd like to hit on is so many women's views that "I don't need to _____ because my husband is taking care of it." You're completely right about what happens when HE has the problem? I need to be able to take care of any situation just as well as he can.
My husband sometimes frustrates me because he's never held a door open or doesn't rush to help me if I stumble while I'm getting out of the surf, but instead he expects me to play on his level with him. Frustrating sometimes? yes. Do I appreciate it most of the time? Absolutely.
We've been certified two months and within a year he wants to be a dive master. And he expects me to do it with him. He doesn't give me any slack for being a girl and that can be misunderstood sometimes by others but I'm treated as an equal and it's something that is too rare.
I would totally soften if I got slack for being a girl, instead I'm forced to rise to the occasion and frequently do things that I normally wouldn't do on my own.

Another good source of information is Caroline Fife, MD, Hermann Center for Hyperbaric Medicine, Houston, Texas. I attended a seminar that she did on women and diving a few years ago. One point that she makes in her seminar, in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way, is that women make better divers than men. :10:

Those interested should dig up: "Should Pregnant Women Scuba Dive? A Review of the Literature." (Fife and Fife), Journal of Travel Medicine, Volume 1, Number 3. A great summary of all studies up through the '90s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom