• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Women and Diving

Discussion in 'Women's Perspectives' started by Andrea Zaferes, May 4, 2004.

1. Frank Kohler

Frank Kohler Nassau Grouper

Lol your probley right and you know what its cool if I lose I mean I not trying to compete with her or anything I was just putting out what I thought you know.

2. Nay

Nay Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Andrea,
    Something else you mentioned in your article that I'd like to hit on is so many women's views that "I don't need to _____ because my husband is taking care of it." You're completely right about what happens when HE has the problem? I need to be able to take care of any situation just as well as he can.
    My husband sometimes frustrates me because he's never held a door open or doesn't rush to help me if I stumble while I'm getting out of the surf, but instead he expects me to play on his level with him. Frustrating sometimes? yes. Do I appreciate it most of the time? Absolutely.
    We've been certified two months and within a year he wants to be a dive master. And he expects me to do it with him. He doesn't give me any slack for being a girl and that can be misunderstood sometimes by others but I'm treated as an equal and it's something that is too rare.
    I would totally soften if I got slack for being a girl, instead I'm forced to rise to the occasion and frequently do things that I normally wouldn't do on my own.

3. ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami CCR Instructor

Another good source of information is Caroline Fife, MD, Hermann Center for Hyperbaric Medicine, Houston, Texas. I attended a seminar that she did on women and diving a few years ago. One point that she makes in her seminar, in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way, is that women make better divers than men. :10:

Those interested should dig up: "Should Pregnant Women Scuba Dive? A Review of the Literature." (Fife and Fife), Journal of Travel Medicine, Volume 1, Number 3. A great summary of all studies up through the '90s.