Woman survives 19 hours in sea off Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When someone who is not a strong ocean swimmer takes a fiberglass canoe away from the Olowalu shore in typical offshore winds, they are very lucky to be found, much less found alive. Considering there is no mention of a life jacket, most of her luck probably has to do with natural buoyant insulation. The forethought required to bring a marine radio is obviously not part of the thought process for this woman. Glad she survived, but :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Indeed, this is what you would call a "Darwin moment." However in this case Darwin was cheated, perhaps.

Indeed, this is what you would call a "Darwin moment." However in this case Darwin was cheated, perhaps.
Cheated?

No, the Darwinian theory of evolution was stood-up-to, slapped-around and flat-out ridiculed by this event!

*All* the odds were stacked against her, yet she still survived. All I can say is pity the fishing boat that found her with her bathing suit top wrapped around her head! :eek:

Just saw her on the news and she has way less insulation than I expected. The boat crew probably wasn't completely grossed out even with the prune wrinkles. :11doh:

Still not specific if her inflated water bag was the only floatation. :confused:

wow

hate to see what ya'll say about me when my mooring breaks when I'm on a dive....:D

please leave out the bit about the prune wrinkles and my age, kay?

Pretty cool she covered her head, those Alaska peeps must know some stuff bout staying warm.

I need to read this to my son who caused a big drama because he returned with three friends from his kayak and WENT BACK OUT ALONE the other night. We were down at the dock, COUNTING KAYAKS after dark.

loads of cool personal epirbs available not . lots of dive schools using them now .

I even heard of this back here in Colorado. She is VERY lucky to be alive. Scares the B-jesus out of me that she didn't have a "buddy" with her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom