WOB of SP regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW-I found this:
ftp://download.johnsonoutdoors.com/Diving/EuropeDealers/SCUBAPRO/SCUBAPRO_Presentations/ENGLISH/A700_Presentation_ENG.pdf

According to the link above, the specs on the 700 are a tad better than the 600. Pressure & depth are fairly consistent.
I believe that most WOB specs are determined by adding inhalation & exhalation numbers (??), but wouldn't inhalation effort be the most "important?"
Also, since most people report that the 700 & 600 breath "the same," it leads me to believe that WOB doesn't tell the whole story.

Maybe try something:

Set the IP to "midrange" and then adjust the secondary reg to "easy breathing" but NOT "anticipates the next breath".

Pretty sure that both you and your gear will co-exist most happily...

It is my understanding that exhalation takes more effort than inhalation. And the larger the exhaust valve the less effort is needed to force air through it.

Maybe try something:

Set the IP to "midrange" and then adjust the secondary reg to "easy breathing" but NOT "anticipates the next breath".

Pretty sure that both you and your gear will co-exist most happily...
Can you elaborate, please?

FWIW-the main reason that I'm interested in WOB specs is to see if/how much they relate to real world performance. I'd guess that WOB tells part (but not all) of the story...

I dive in less than ideal conditions so I like my regs tuned for mechanical stability. By that, I mean that I give them room to drift and still be within specs for a working reg. What I gave you is the really general recipe for 'stability tuning'.

When you inhale, there is no water in that path. When you exhale, you will need to move a bit of water out of the way.

WOB is a total non-issue for me. Can you mess with a reg to make it a hard breather? Absolutely, yes. But when properly tuned, just breathe deeply and slowly on both inhale and exhale. Just like audiophiles who think that they can tell the difference in gold coated speaker cables, there may be some divers who can tell the difference between properly tuned reg sets. I have better things to pay attention to when underwater. I'll go so far as to say that all modern "name brand" regs breathe fine through the entire range of recreational depths and I doubt that I could tell the difference.

If you are curious and want to pursue this, there are old regs out there that are hard breathers, ask the usual reg guys. They have stories...

h-I agree but am still curious to "see" for myself. I can't help it...I love to see if specs actually mean anything! I've found that, in most cases, one number does not "tell the story."

Keep in mind that high levels of positive pressure breathing during the inhale phase, which some divers find uncomfortable and may even blow some gas out the exhaust valve, results in lower work during the inhale phase. Excessively soft or thin exhaust valves, which may result in wet breathing, will reduce work during the exhale phase. Use WOB stats carefully.

Back
Top Bottom