Wo-MAN Dive Overdue...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
ahh...you all are so supportive.

I am glad you saw it that way. I went to bed last night and suddenly thought I hope you didn't think I was bossing you around or didn't have faith.

When I first learned to dock I was far from brilliant at it. My boat was at a pretty big marina with loads of other boats. Not to mention, my boat was pretty big (2800 that measured 33) I use to have small heart attacks as I was coming into the marina. I would phone the guys at the dock just to be sure they were down there in case anything happened.

Eventually, the girls on the boat got over the shyness and became a real crew. They were were quick as heck to be on top of things once they learned how to do it all. It was great. Oh and eventually I learned to dock w/o a problem. Sad part was it had twin screws :shakehead (meaning twins are supposed to be cake to walk in). So hey, it took me a lil time but I had the best lookin' boat around when it was just us girls :D :D :D :D

did you use both engines together or each engine independently to dock?

catherine96821:
did you use both engines together or each engine independently to dock?

Well it depended on the current. For the most part I would say independently. Use them as "legs" kind of to "walk" the boat in. If one "leg" is kicking faster - know how that is going to move you. Or if you just bump one - what that is going to do. These are some things I practiced a lot out on the open water. Putting one in neutral and in forward - all different combinations. One in forward and one in reverse, if you will, that will keep you stationary.

Missdirected:
Well it depended on the current. For the most part I would say independently. Use them as "legs" kind of to "walk" the boat in. If one "leg" is kicking faster - know how that is going to move you. Or if you just bump one - what that is going to do. These are some things I practiced a lot out on the open water. Putting one in neutral and in forward - all different combinations. One in forward and one in reverse, if you will, that will keep you stationary.
Thats what Ive been trying to teach her. She has gotten much better.

Wildcard:
Thats what Ive been trying to teach her. She has gotten much better.

I remember as people said the same thing to me essentially but in different ways - sometimes one term would "click" over another.

I do remember loving finding out I had "brakes" :D Man was that a treat.

Catherine - did I ever tell you the name of my boat? If not, my friend's named it MissDirected (hence, how I got my nickname). However, underneath in small letter's it read, "...and no it is not his :wink:". I know it was rotten. Some days when I made an azz of myself docking, I wish I could have ripped it off. Ah well, just made me try harder.

C-

The picture of JB in uniform takes my breath away! Wow! Great job!

Sucess first time in doffing and donning my bp/w in-water. Actually, it seemed really easy. But I didn't use my bungee last. I unwrapped my 5' long hose and kept that in my mouth and then slipped out. Maybe the extra 2' makes the difference.

Anyway, I figured since I was already wet that I would do a quick solo dive. I found a "bait ball" of some kind of small fish (5" - silver - not big eye scad) and slowly swam into the middle of them so they were circling me. From outside the circle I could see a cornet fish darting in, trying for a meal. Then the cornet fish (approx 3-4') swam to just beneath me and stopped, then looked at me. I imagine that he was trying to tell me that this was his territory. (I like to imagine people thoughts in fish).

great!

yes, we will go out soon, I have been waiting for this "nasty" weather to blow through.

Where exactly did you dive? Brave wo-MAN.

You know the big fountain at the Diamond Head end of Kapiolani Park? I live almost directly across from that. So, in my front yard.

It's quite shallow in close (which is where I stayed because I was too lazy to go get my float from my car) so at times my computer didn't even register it as a dive. Now does that sound brave?

sea nmf:
It's quite shallow in close (which is where I stayed because I was too lazy to go get my float from my car) so at times my computer didn't even register it as a dive. Now does that sound brave?

Hey, with people fishing in that area and casting out lines, I'd count that as pretty brave!

Back
Top Bottom