Wisdom teeth/ removal. Safe to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ohhhh man. I broke a tooth today, fortunately its a wisdom. I'm now going to have to have it out. I've read posts about root canals and air pockets ect...

would the same thing apply to having my wisdom teeth out. Who would clear me to dive again after the procedure?

Thanks DOC...

Normally, extraction of a wisdom tooth does not produce an air pocket that could result in a "tooth squeeze"

The major concerns would be risk for infection in the removed tooth, and in the upper teeth, a slight but real risk of developing a communication between the root of the upper tooth and the maxillary sinus, with risk for reverse squeeze causing infection spread through the soft tissues.

Most dentists of my acquaintance are familiar with the concept of tooth squeeze, but may not always think of the upper tooth root communicating with maxillary sinus.

You also will be taking occasional sips and sprays of water from the waters you are diving, so I'd personally wait until the tissue was fairly solidly healed before risking it.

Perhaps one of the dentists or oral surgeons on the board can offer further insight.

John

Hey Wheezy,

I feel your pain, man. I had 3 wisdom teeth removed a couple of months ago and have had no trouble. I was advised to wait until all the stitches had dissolved and the tissues were not longer tender.

So far, no trouble at all.

Good Luck.

wow, you actually had to get stiched. Last time I had one side done.. top and bottom.. no stiches... in and out in under 30 minutes with no pain at all .. just a nasty crunch sound.

I'll play it safe and wait until they're pretty well healed up.

thanks doc... I'll ask my surgeon before going

Wheezy,

I had stitches on the bottom left; none on the top on either side. I only had 3 total. The bottom one was a bony impaction. They knocked me out but I was in and out in under an hour. I was in more pain before the extractions than I was after.

Don't you just love happy endings?!?!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom