Winter diving in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Do you dive throught the year in your part of Texas, even in the winter months???

We plan to this year but only on the warmer days in the comal river or san Marcos river. Where the water temp stays in the lower 70's.

I don't dive in the winter months, but then I'm a woosey when it comes to cold water/weather. Errr, let me correct that, I don't dive in Texas in the winter months.

As far as I know, CSSP is open year-round, so if you have thick skin or a thick wetsuit, or better yet, a dry suit, you should be able to satisfy your get wet needs out there.

As NDH previously mentioned, the Comal river is suitable for winter diving- we haven't been to the San Marcos river, but I think they flow from the same headsprings? The Comal (in New Braunfels) is 72 degrees yr. round, which feels cold when you first get in, but you don't really want to get out later, LOL. I did my checkout dives there in January, wearing a 3mm shorty under a 2mm trilam that was too big. Wear a hood and gloves, and you'll be fine. I would wear a skin under my 3mm full suit, but if you have a 5mm, that would be ideal.
Foo

we dive year around in dry suites

derrick

Yes I do, I have a SeaQuest XFlex 7-6-5 with a hood and that works very well during the winter.

The limiting factor on diving the Comal River is the ambient temperature after getting out of a wet wetsuit. At least, that's what I remember from a night dive last December.

capelli:
we dive year around in dry suites

derrick

Cool! I'm going to try to go to the the DUI dog days rally at CSSP this year and try a dry suit, although I know that I can't afford one! Would like to see what it's like, though. I read on another thread that dry diving isn't totally dry, is that correct?

Geezer:
The limiting factor on diving the Comal River is the ambient temperature after getting out of a wet wetsuit. At least, that's what I remember from a night dive last December.

Landa RV Park has hot showers, and you can change out of your wetsuit in their bathrooms. They're supposed to have a $5/person special diver rate per day; I go there a few times a year. You can snag a nice riverside spot, enter via the stairs across from the spillway, and exit at that public park near the tube chutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom