Winter diving in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All you need is 5mm wet suit, hood, gloves and a reg that will hold up in the cold. Also lots of towels, nothing sucks more than trying to reuse wet towels in the winter.

I'm generally out of the water as soon as it hits 68-70º, sometime around the first of November and get back in around the last of March when the temps get back up to those temps. But this year I think I'm gonna make myself wear a wetsuit...I just hate those things! I've been using a .5mm shorty recently and it's helped me get used to the idea so we'll see....

I got a Henderson 7/5 semi-dry, and with a 3mm core warmer, I was just toasty in water at 52 degrees. I expect I could get down to the mid 40's with that arrangement (would need some warmer gloves first).

Yes, we dive year-around in Lake Travis. Some of us use drysuits, others layer up in wetsuits.

archman:
Landa RV Park has hot showers, and you can change out of your wetsuit in their bathrooms. They're supposed to have a $5/person special diver rate per day; I go there a few times a year. You can snag a nice riverside spot, enter via the stairs across from the spillway, and exit at that public park near the tube chutes.

We drove down to Landa Park after diving, the last time we went, because we knew there had to be a longer dive than just the park by the tube chutes... but question: parts of the river looked too shallow to dive, do you have to get out and walk parts of it, in order to start at Landa and finish at the park?

I did a couple of dives in mid March at Twin Lakes. Wore a full 3 mil with 5 mil top over it. was just fine

Foo:
question: parts of the river looked too shallow to dive, do you have to get out and walk parts of it, in order to start at Landa and finish at the park?

Naw, you can dive the whole length. There's a particularly deep spot in front of the railroad bridge... lots of sunken trees and rocks.

The "upper" Comal stays deep, 6-10 feet on average.

if your dry suite fits good and your seals do not leak the only part that is going to get wet is your head and hands

derrick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom