Winter Diving in North Alabama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boomer7

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am just courous how many people dive during the winter in North Alabama? (Driving to Florida or getting on a plane does not count.)

Brian

Where were you last weekend when about a dozen of us (several from the Huntsville and Decatur area) dove AL Blue Water in Pelham?

I don't know. Was this trip talked about on here?

Boomer7:
I don't know. Was this trip talked about on here?

Only about 700 posts on one thread about it. It was under the Deep Dixie trips subforum. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=173329

The diving portion of the trip prob got lost in all the chatter in the thread though...

I think some folks are going down the first weekend of March to Bluewater also.

Jim S. was talking about doing a mid-week trip to Moulton sometime in the next week.

tstonedvr here on SB lives over near Athens and dives year round. Send him a PM. He dives doubles often also. I know they did Bluewater also this past weekend.

Until I get a drysuit, I'm wimped out until the ice breaks...

So it was under trips, that explains it. I will check there daily now. I am trying to hit Moulton on the 3rd of March.
Thanks for the contact mike.

Brian

Is that place outside of Huntsville still there? I think it had a saturn 5 rocket in it.

willardj:
Is that place outside of Huntsville still there? I think it had a saturn 5 rocket in it.

There are two Saturn 5 rockets on display at the Space & Rocket Center in Huntsviile.. One is a 'real' Saturn 5 and the other is a model of one. (the vertical one you can see from the road).

However, I think you're talking about the dive quarry that had a MinuteMan Missile in it. It sticks up out of the water....

It's still there. However, it's under new operation this past year and hopefully the upcoming hear if the paperwork gets complete. If all goes well, we should be diving there again this year.

mike_s:
There are two Saturn 5 rockets on display at the Space & Rocket Center in Huntsviile.. One is a 'real' Saturn 5 and the other is a model of one. (the vertical one you can see from the road).

However, I think you're talking about the dive quarry that had a MinuteMan Missile in it. It sticks up out of the water....

It's still there. However, it's under new operation this past year and hopefully the upcoming hear if the paperwork gets complete. If all goes well, we should be diving there again this year.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. Are they going to open it back up for diving? The wife is a big Nasa fan and I think she would a big kick out of it.

willardj:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. Are they going to open it back up for diving? The wife is a big Nasa fan and I think she would a big kick out of it.

The company that ran it, Rock Divers, went 'under' two years ago. The city of Madison owned the quarry and leased it to Rock Divers. In their infinite stupidity, they decided to use the quarry as a water source for the city and did a land swap with the Wather Board. The reason I say infinite stupidity is because they did this without ever testing to see if it was a viable replentiful water source, which it is not.

Another company came in and ran it under special contract through the water board last year and is planning on running it this year also, once the final paperwork is complete.

It's got several areospace items sunk in the quarry, so any NASA fan should enjoy it.

willardj:

Oh man... what a quarry that would be. Think about a 363 foot dive to see the base of the rocket. Or even on its side, how impressive it would be to swim along. Maybe they need to toss one of the three still around into a quarry... probably make quite a profit for NASA.

Back
Top Bottom