North Alabama shop/instructor recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might look for two instructors:

- One to teach you good buoyancy and trim in a workshop or advanced class (or Cavern but that requires AOW). Tech trained or oriented would be a good option here.
- One who will safely teach you the equipment and not drowning in OW while wearing mask, reg, BC, fins and snorkel.

If the trim one can also be the OW one, that is awesome. But two might suffice if there is no other local option.

Find the advanced instructor who will ultimately teach you good buoyancy, propulsion and trim. If they don't teach OW, ask them who they recommend.

Jeez. I applaud the OP for trying to get superior training as long as he realizes it's likely to cost him a little extra in cash and driving time.

Quicky courses taught on-the-knees to minimum standards are why there are so many crappy divers out there and why so many rec ops have instituted silly depth and time limits. I'm happy to see them lose customers. If enough people vote with their feet, the shops will come along.

I've contacted them and I'm waiting on some info. The big issue I'm having right now is that nobody seems to teach neutrally buoyant, and I don't want to take the class on my knees. It kinda blows my mind that this is so difficult.
Who cares, you can learn that yourself, go get certified.

Who cares, you can learn that yourself, go get certified.

I care.

I found an instructor who will teach me neutrally buoyant from day 1, with my own equipment, which he also knows of and approves. He's also a tech diver, and is cave certified. Instructors like that do exist, you just have to look. I refuse to pay for substandard service, and I don't accept mediocracy. When you educate yourself, it's easy to filter out those who just want to make a quick buck at your expense.

Blow bubbles friend and lose your attitude. Idgaf about you but I would love to see you out there enjoying our activity. So like everyone before has said, get certified and then get proficient.

You came into my thread with the attitude and mouthed off, you're just not used to people standing their ground. Welcome to the South my friend.

You came into my thread with the attitude and mouthed off, you're just not used to people standing their ground. Welcome to the South my friend.
No little fella, I lived in the south for the better part of 9 years when I was stationed on that horribly humid coast. Standing your ground is not what you did. You just continued to internet cry on a second thread and wanted someone to make your feel better about it. The tears from your experience with the 2 other shops are still fresh. I'm glad you found an instructor that will teach you the way it should be done and with your own chosen gear. Get wet, blow bubbles, enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom