Winter Diving in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebbyDiver:
I've seen tourists from way up north diving in a bathing suit and t-shirt in the winter...
This amazes me beyond belief. I'd be there on the boat rapidly freezing to death wearing two wetsuits, and there would be these people from Michigan or North Dakota diving in a swim suit and complaining about getting overheated down below. Unreal.
And not all of them had a BMI of 10,000.

I think I am THE original Warm Water Wussie, and I dive with a full skin and a 3 mil during the winter. As previously said a hood will add a lot of comfort to a colder dive. What you really need is a good parka for your surface interval. Thats when you get the killer chill!

I mostly dive out of Panama City. Up here, in october the water is still nice & warm. During november it will drop drastically over the course of a week or so, down to about 63. From there it will creep down to the 50's. By march it usually warms back up to about 63 or so.

FWIW, for the last 2 winters the coldest water temp I logged was 57, but it has been known to drop to the lower 50's in the past.

I was one of the cheap fools who was diving the two sets of 3MM wetsuits and was still cold. I took HowardE's advice and bought a godo fitting quality 7mm and enjoy diving the winter months.

I had the problem with multiple suits. This is more water layers and more water movement. The other problem was the fact they did nto fit that well and I had a water exchange constantly going on.

Get a Suit that FITS you snuggly with good seals around the calf and wrist. Make sure you have a good fit around the neck. If you have a pinched up fold on the top of your neck it will work like a little water scoop and force COLD water down your back.

The 7mm of yesteryear is gone. The new stuff stretches and bends. I have full range of motion in my 7mm and I love it.

Winter diving is great. Sometimes the seas are interesting but once you get your exits mastered the 6' sea is not bad to dive in.

See you on a boat in the upcoming winter soon.. (PS if you can catch KBeck going she has been Known to bring GodivA Hot Chocolate!) ---

A nice snooty tea is good too...

Hmmm thinking Sake would be a good after dive day drink in the winter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom