Wings Air baggage allowances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imtoad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
Does anyone know the specifics of Wings Air baggage allowances for the Manado/Sorong flight? I can only find the 15 kg. checked bag info but nothing about size limitations and nothing at all about carry-on. I know that they are a subsidiary of Lion but the planes are smaller and I don't want any surprises.

Also, has anyone had problems with Batavia, Merpati, or Lion/Wings refusing oversize luggage?

Thanks, Hilary

I've done the trip and not had any difficulty. My two checked bags are usually about 65 lbs each. I use two carry-on bags for camera and housing, one full-size roller and one medium-sized camera backpack, and have had no problems with those either.

In general, rules regarding carry-on are pretty lax. As for checked bags, I really think they will take most anything, though you will pay the excess weight fee. Don't know what you really mean by "oversized" luggage. A bicycle might be awkward, but in general, you should not expect problems.

When in that part of the world, rules aren't quite as rigid as the US, and one can always try to negotiate or plead. Always be very polite and considerate, as it makes a big difference.

When you check in ask for scuba or sports equipment allowance. I flew Wings from Manado to Sorong in Nov & saved several thousand rupiah. They don't necessarily offer the extra wt allowance. Avoid Batavia & Merpati whenever possible. Lots of stories of late/cancelled flights. I've always had good luck with Lion/Wings & Garuda.

I feel better now. Somewhere on the board there are stories of luggage left on the tarmac!

I feel better now. Somewhere on the board there are stories of luggage left on the tarmac!

That would be me, flying Express Air from Sorong to Ujung Pandang (Makassar) ...:shakehead:

Have an Indonesian agent book your flights - its a lot cheaper. The 15-20 kg allowance stated on the ticket is total weight, not per bag. Carry-on isn't usually a problem unless its a small plane (like mine was), then bigger pieces like large backpack may have to be checked at the plane as you board. Not a problem.

Thank you everyone for the useful info!

When you check in ask for scuba or sports equipment allowance. I flew Wings from Manado to Sorong in Nov & saved several thousand rupiah. They don't necessarily offer the extra wt allowance. Avoid Batavia & Merpati whenever possible. Lots of stories of late/cancelled flights. I've always had good luck with Lion/Wings & Garuda.

Too late! We are taking both Batavia and Merpati.:depressed:

Does the scuba gear need to be in it's own separate bag?

Thanks, Hilary

Not sure about actual regs for separate bag. I just tell them one bag is scuba gear & it hasn't been a problem. Of course you may use a few extra clothes for padding :D

Back
Top Bottom