Lion Air Indonesia dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim RS

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure that I am not the first person on this forum to run into the baggage nightmare that is Lion Air. We need to get from Manado to Sorong in January. Lion Air is the only carrier that flies this route and their 30kg/per person weight limit is causing a real problem for us to transport dive gear, camera equipment and clothing for a month. We emailed Lion and they informed us that it is impossible to purchase excess luggage for this flight.

It seems like the best option is to just purchase two seats each for the flight and pay for 30kg of luggage for each seat. It seems like this would solve our problem. But will Lion Air even allow us to do this? We have emailed them with this question, but have received no response yet. I cannot see why it should matter to them whether there is an actual body in our second seat as long as it and the baggage fees are paid.

Thoughts, suggestions....Thanks in advance.

I'm sure that I am not the first person on this forum to run into the baggage nightmare that is Lion Air. We need to get from Manado to Sorong in January. Lion Air is the only carrier that flies this route and their 30kg/per person weight limit is causing a real problem for us to transport dive gear, camera equipment and clothing for a month. We emailed Lion and they informed us that it is impossible to purchase excess luggage for this flight.

It seems like the best option is to just purchase two seats each for the flight and pay for 30kg of luggage for each seat. It seems like this would solve our problem. But will Lion Air even allow us to do this? We have emailed them with this question, but have received no response yet. I cannot see why it should matter to them whether there is an actual body in our second seat as long as it and the baggage fees are paid.

Thoughts, suggestions....Thanks in advance.

Have you looked into flying business class?

Perhaps they don't have that as an available possibility on the Manado - Sorong leg.

I once found myself stymied on a 3 different airline trip in Indonesia and when I got to luggage checking for Lion, ran into a huge bill for the overweight luggage. The price difference between sitting scrunched in the back with everyone else and having 12 seats upfront to myself and no overweight fees was minimal. Fortunately, there'd been time between flights to organize such because that was another story in and of itself.

Unfortunately, not all legs have business seats.

Jan 2022?
Lion Air might not even exist then!
I am quite sure you cannot buy extra seat on line. Detail of the passenger is required. Call them directly but beware of the time difference. Is there any travel agent in your area?
Alternative is via Jakarta( time consuming and expensive).
Good luck.

I use to live in Indonesia for 4 years and still average about 4-6 months a year there because I just love the diving so much!!. Anyways from my experiences flying with the smaller domestic Indonesian airlines is when you go to check in they usually accommodate extra baggage for a fee. If your polite and talk to the manager (speaking some Bahasa always helps too) they always come up with some kind of "Indonesian" way to get your second bag on I have paid anywhere from $20 to $80 for extra bag. I have flown most of the smaller Indonesia carriers, Lion, Batik, Citilink, Wings, NAM, Sriwijaya, and Merpati (for those that remember this dodgy airline)

Also I just had some friend come back from Raja last month and they flew with 2 rebreathers, 2 full tubs of Sofnoline, 4ea. 3L tanks, 2ea. DLSR cameras with housing, doms, and strobes, plus all other diving gear and clothing. so as on a month ago you can still get away with more than 1 checked bag.

I don't think buying an extra seat thing works I have tried this and they will tell you it has to be for a person and can not be empty. Not to sure what the logic is behind this as they are still getting the seat sales

I don't think buying an extra seat thing works I have tried this and they will tell you it has to be for a person and can not be empty. Not to sure what the logic is behind this as they are still getting the seat sales
No experience in Indonesia for this matter. In Philippines it is possible at the airport if they have spare seat available particularly on smaller plane(turbo prop).
I am pretty sure there is some kind of law prohibited the selling of a passenger seat for luggage. Could be wrong here.

At the airport please ask them nicely and never ever lose your temper for any reason, it will only make the matter worst, and be there a lot earlier!! Do dress up and look respectable. You respect them and they will respect you.

My understanding of there needing to be a passenger in the sold seat is the same reason that a passenger's luggage gets off loaded if they don't show up for the flight. terrorist bombs aboard and/or 9/11type security

Extra luggage is supposedly a function of calculating weight for fuel and balance. If the airline estimates average weight of passenger and the allotted luggage allowance then it's easier for pilot or airline etc. to do the calculations. I've probably not explained this properly in any event, even assuming that my basic understanding is correct in the first place.

Thanks so much for the responses. No, there is no business class on the Manado-Sorong leg and Lion Air is the only game in town on that route. I am hesitant to wait to get to the airport and try to sort it it there. I think we may have solved the problem by flying Citilink from Manado to Mankassar, overnighting at an airport hotel in Mankassar and then flying Batik from Mankassar to Sorong. The flights are far shorter and cheaper than if we had to return to Jakarta to get to Sorong. Plus they are day flights instead of the overnight flight from Jakarta. We can purchase sufficient extra luggage luggage on both of these flights to solve the problem. It will cost us about $300USD with luggage to do this, but if we have to pay E9-10/kilo for an extra 60 kg (which is what I saw one woman claim she paid at the airport for excess luggage with Lion Air), we will still come out ahead. Where we do not speak Bahasa and will not be checking in with anyone local, I am afraid to take the chance. It's a hassle to do this, but at least we are guaranteed of getting there (as much as is possible in Indonesia) with our stuff and knowing the exact cost. We are planning on a one day buffer before our liveaboard leaves Sorong to cover for any flight delays or cancellations. It's all so nerve wracking.

Your next concern is the entry to Indonesia and the schedule of your LoB.

Good luck.

I have seen people buy an extra ticket in order to get more luggage. I think it was Howard and Michelle Hall. It wasn't Lion and I don't think it was even Indonesia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom