Wings: #18 vs. #30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
Since this is a warm-water area, I would have thought that the only "regulars" here that would want a #30 wing would be Chip and myself (Ice diving soon Chip? :wink: ) What draws others to or away from either size of wing?

heheh, ice diving? no. I'm a WWW!

Would a 30 be better in a rescue situation? (more lift incase you have to carry something?)

chip104:
heheh, ice diving? no. I'm a WWW!

Would a 30 be better in a rescue situation? (more lift incase you have to carry something?)

yup in a situation where the victim may no longer have air in his/her tank it would help when you get to the surface and need to establish positive buoyancy for both of you. But don't use your BC to do a positive buoyant ascent with an object/person underwater.

Halthron:
Since this is a warm-water area, I would have thought that the only "regulars" here that would want a #30 wing would be Chip and myself (Ice diving soon Chip? :wink: ) What draws others to or away from either size of wing?

Halcyon used to make an 18 and it was called the bat wing. I think Oxycheq makes one too, but it it is not available in the Philippines.

I however think a 30 lb wing would be a better option as it gives better surface flotation post dive for a person carrying a camera, scooter, or a 40 cu. ft. stage bottle; and where choppy seas are an issue.

i personally have bothe. i have a 18lb batwing by halcyon and a 30lb wing eclipse. imho the 18lb is very compact and does the job well. its great for travelling but imho the 30lb wing gives you more versatility. the size diff is very minimal and its better to have the xtra lift capacity for "just in case" scenarios. just my .02 cents

i use a 40lbs lift.

as i do time and again carry some stuffs ........

hehehhehehe

the 30lbs EXD is now with DMC and tweety

Axua:
yup in a situation where the victim may no longer have air in his/her tank it would help when you get to the surface and need to establish positive buoyancy for both of you. But don't use your BC to do a positive buoyant ascent with an object/person underwater.
the challenge in fact is that you should control changing bouyancy characteristics in your and your victim's BCs... as you ascent air expands and creates more positive lift and can cause an increased ascent rate that can prove dangerous...

tama ba instructor?

Jag

Back
Top Bottom