Wing Size for 10yo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CD24

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm assembling a bpw for my 10yo daughter. I recently purchased the SubGravity SS short backplate and am wondering which single tank wing size would be comfortable for her now but have enough lift as she grows. She's 4'6 and maybe 75-80lbs. 90% of our diving will be coldwater (45-60F).

Thanks

Are you a genetically short family? A 30# wing is the "common" single tank wing for cold water (at least from my experience), and what my wife, daughter, and I use, along with many others I've seen. Unless you are adding a future need for a small warm water travel wing, I'd avoid the cost of a smaller lift wing you likely wouldn't otherwise use. From that, long & narrow wing if going to be tall-ish, or shorter & wider if not...

@James79 however may provide better advice with what he has done with a family of growing kids...

Good luck and enjoy. It is a blast to dive with a family!

Appreciate the feedback. I'm 6' and mom is 5'4, but our daughter seems to be on the shorter side for her age. I don't foresee her being any taller than 5'4. I was considering the 30# DGX wing but it may be too tall/narrow for her height. Any recommendations?

Appreciate the feedback. I'm 6' and mom is 5'4, but our daughter seems to be on the shorter side for her age. I don't foresee her being any taller than 5'4. I was considering the 30# DGX wing but it may be too tall/narrow for her height. Any recommendations?
I may not be as much help as @rhwestfall thought... I'm a little extreme on the diy side and all our bpw's are home made; DIY Wing Evolution
I actually haven't owned a "factory" wing, so I can't properly compare.
If you want to go that road, it's actually not that difficult... The blue/white wing in that thread is my youngest's since he got certified at 10 (and was a bit on the small side for his age, not terribly, but a bit). He's 14 now and it still serves him just fine.

Respectfully,

James

Thanks James. Not sure I'm brave enough to attempt to fabricate the wing, but the dimensions from your instructions are helpful. Did your son end up using the MK1/2 version?

yeah my quick search shows that as one of the shortest. There may be others....

I looked at HOG, Trianta (on sale at DRIS), - trying to stay "cheap", just find the the shortest meeting your needs... I have VDH, DSS, Oxy, HOG, and Deep6.....

Folks have even getting Chinese generic models (AliBaba) and been pleased with the value of what they got.

I am amazed at how the prices have climbed....

It is just tough with a 30# wing and an HP80.... You really need to be careful of pinch flats...

It is just tough with a 30# wing and an HP80.... You really need to be careful of pinch flats...
Can you tell me more about the pinch flats? Would a STA reduce or increase the likelihood? I personally dive a hydros pro so the bpw are new territory for me. Thanks

I had my son in an 18lb Oxycheq wing at first. He’s now in a 30 pound Hollis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom