Wing Size for 10yo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you tell me more about the pinch flats? Would a STA reduce or increase the likelihood? I personally dive a hydros pro so the bpw are new territory for me. Thanks
Just make sure the tank doesn’t end up sitting on the wing. HP80s are short and wings will likely be longer than the tank. I used to have a Halcyon 40lb Eclipse wing I dived with HP80s. Could be a challenge on the boat. I got a pinch flat once. Learned my lesson.

It is just tough with a 30# wing and an HP80.... You really need to be careful of pinch flats...
You don't put a tiny girl in the water with a HP80, I don't have the weight data at my finger tips, but I looked into it some time ago, I concluded; no way in warm water, and I doubt cold water would change my mind much.

You don't put a tiny girl in the water with a HP80, I don't have the weight data at my finger tips, but I looked into it some time ago, I concluded; no way in warm water, and I doubt cold water would change my mind much.
I was talking about the future use/conflict where a shorter stature person in cold water would likely be diving a tank like that for single tank recreational dives.....

Diving wet or dry? How deep? I was pretty surprised when I did calculations for how much lift was required in a wetsuit when diving deep with steel tanks and backplate. I am over twice as large, but diving doubles and needed almost 60lb of lift at 125'. Divide all of that by 2 and I could see where you might want something bigger than 20lb. If she will be diving dry and hopefully not nearly that deep, not as big of a deal.

I had my son in an 18lb Oxycheq wing at first. He’s now in a 30 pound Hollis.
I'd go to a small wing too, but it becomes an expensive "short term" option that becomes useless if in fact they are cold water divers...

We dive wet in 8/7 semi-drys. I had considered a smaller wing initially but ideally I'd like to purchase a wing that would last her the next 3-5 yrs.

there are 23# wings out there.... might fit the bill for a time...

My experience with my (now) 12yo is that the Dive Rite travel wing (25lb) has been plenty. We’re in Monterey Bay, and he’s at ~14lb negative buoyancy (HP80 tank + 2lb backplate + 4lb ditchable) while wearing a 7mm over a 3mm wetsuit. We’re in the midst of drysuit training, and it looks like he’ll only need another 4lb or so for that config. When we travel to tropical waters, he needs even less lift.

That said, the wonderful thing about a BPW setup is that everything can be interchangeable. If he needs extra lift, I can give him my 35lb wing and move up to a larger wing for myself.

Back
Top Bottom