Wing For Independent Double AI 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a solo diver and flying with a pony bottle is a pain. I'm planning to move to independent doubles so I can grab whatever is available at my destination, typically AI 80s. I'm switching to a BPW set up and would like a wing that will work with light doubles and with a single. 95% of my diving is tropical with a 4/3 wetsuit being the max exposure suit I use. The Dive Rite Rec wing is the only thing I've found on this forum and Google that seems to meet the criteria. That wing seems to disagree with a lot of people, so I'm curious if there are any other options out there that might meet my needs. My primary activity when diving is photography using a DSLR rig with strobes and when I tried a sidemount rig, I found the bottles in the way when maneuvering the camera so I've ruled out sidemount. Suggestions?

You will need to choose one or the other. Not only will the single tank need less lift, but the width of the two wings will be different. A wing wide enough for a pair of 80s will just wrap around a single.

If you want to dive doubles while travelling maybe you should consider going side-mount. I don't dive side-mount, but have considered it for diving doubles on vacation as the least PITA way to go. Also found the bcd's to be reasonably lite weight for travel.

A 40 lb wing for doubles should work nicely. It will provide plenty of lift for double 80s. Yes, it will wrap around a single tank a bit more, but I just dove with my doubles wing on a single tank in the Caribbean and despite the tank wrapping (taco effect), it worked just fine. You can see it in the photo, but my trim and buoyancy were still great.
diving.jpg

I found that my Superwing was overkill for diving ITs. We did exactly what you are talking about in the Philippines and it made things so much easier. I ended up with a Rec wing since I was diving a 3mm suit. The picture shows how big the Superwing was. The recwing worked perfectly

DSC00831_JPG.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom