Wing Bolt tightness on backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know the bolt size for Halcyon in imperial units ?

:rofl3: If their size is in imperial units, so is the thread.

:rofl3: If their size is in imperial units, so is the thread.
Yea i didn’t know that there were different threads ... i got a M8 bolt and couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t work until I looked really closely ...

I tried using rubber washers under the flat washers, and they lock pretty well, provided I tighten it enough in the first place that the rubber is compressed flat.

Just had to change periodically since the rubber might get all hard and inflexible from all the salt water exposure.

Tried lock washers but dont really work, plus there's the NASA research quite some time ago questioning the efficiency of lock washers.

What about blue lock tight or fingernail polish. Are either of these a no no my concern would be the square hole in the back plate starting to get eaten away if you removed them frequently which could be the case as I have a weight that bolts through here I might be removing and installing it more often depending on the trip im taking. My new wing showed up tonight and for a fact I could see the wing nuts being loose after a boat ride or any vibration for a period of time.

I have not had an issue with either regular wing nuts or delrin nuts. The recommended torque for a 5/16-18 grade 5 bolt is 17 lbs/ft. This is way higher than any mortal can tighten using their fingers so feel free to use an adjustable wrench to snug it up a little. You will not break the bolt unless you're trying. Don't bother with the lock washers they don't do anything Video on a Junker Fastener Vibration Test .

On my halcyon sta, I kept the original screws but bought a pair of DSS delrin "knobs". My method is to hand tighten them and then wiggle the bp and sta whilst continued to hand tighten further. I can do 2 dives or more and they are solud, never had them even remotely loosen. I retighten them in the morning of every day trip but never had them loosen.

Back
Top Bottom